Payment Gateway Surcharge

6 years 4 months ago #300781 by cliffvt
Payment Gateway Surcharge was created by cliffvt
What is the best way to add a surcharge for a particular payment gateway please? So if a user has two gateways to choose from, and one of them attracts a surcharge for whatever reason, which could be a percentage, a fixed amount or combination?

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 4 months ago #300786 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Payment Gateway Surcharge
You don't. Charging a surcharge is strictly prohibited by most payment gateways. PayPal for example will terminate your account if discovered you are doing this.

www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#no-surchages

In short you can charge a handling fee, but it must be applied to all gateways equally. Also CBSubs does not have the functionality to add an additional fee for using a specific gateway. My recommendation is to simply increase the price of your plans by half the cost of the transaction fees.

Additionally transaction fees are a percentage of the total charge. So even if you added that to the plans price it would increase the total charge, which would increase the transaction fee. It's an infinite cycle of trying to recoup the transaction fee.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

6 years 4 months ago #300788 by cliffvt
Replied by cliffvt on topic Payment Gateway Surcharge
Thanks for your answer.

In the UK the law is different to the USA - UK merchants can charge surcharges based on payment method and indeed the Government allows this - there are many UK websites that charge fees for PayPal payments and I even reported one to PayPal who told me directly in a Resolution Centre case that UK merchants are allowed to do this. See:

PAGE 8 of: www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/664065/payment-surcharges-guidance.pdf

Read in conjunction with clause 5.4 of this: www.paypal.com/gb/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#08

Cheers

Cliff

6 years 4 months ago #300790 by cliffvt
Replied by cliffvt on topic Payment Gateway Surcharge
Its a bit discouraging that you would tell your users what they can and cannot do - by the way its not only PayPal - we were planning on charging for an internal standing order payment (offline) which is an intensely manual and laborious process and where we have to recoup costs.

In our case we are a non-profit (charity) and are further regulated by what we can and cannot do too.

Is there a way that you can suggest using php script or something like that that can add the "admin fee" or "surcharge" or whatever it is called? It doesn't make sense to create 12 plans for 4 items that could have any on eof three payment methods...

Thanks a lot

Cliff

6 years 4 months ago #300799 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Payment Gateway Surcharge

In the UK the law is different to the USA - UK merchants can charge surcharges based on payment method and indeed the Government allows this - there are many UK websites that charge fees for PayPal payments and I even reported one to PayPal who told me directly in a Resolution Centre case that UK merchants are allowed to do this. See:

That's good to know. I was not aware the UK merchants were permitted to charge a surcharge.

Its a bit discouraging that you would tell your users what they can and cannot do - by the way its not only PayPal - we were planning on charging for an internal standing order payment (offline) which is an intensely manual and laborious process and where we have to recoup costs.

I was simply informing you of my understanding of gateways policies regarding surcharge. I also informed you the limitations of CBSubs. CBSubs does not have functionality to alter the price of a plan based off payment gateway. It's something we've planned and would like to implement, but at this time does not exist. This will likely just be a new parameter added to Promotions to allow for increasing and decreasing the price based off gateway.

Is there a way that you can suggest using php script or something like that that can add the "admin fee" or "surcharge" or whatever it is called? It doesn't make sense to create 12 plans for 4 items that could have any on eof three payment methods...

I do not have a workaround to suggest. I assume the UK laws regarding this require disclosing the surcharge so it'd need to be a sub total line on the basket like Promotions or Tax, which is more complicated than just increasing the price.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.257 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn