Nightly builds vs. Stable builds conundrum

2 years 3 days ago #329218 by boyjahq
For some reason the plugin/component update function has quit working on our site. When the site was in development, we had Plugin Version and Build Release Checking set to YES, but when we took the site live, we switched it to NO so that we would only get notifications of stable build updates. If we switch it back to YES, we get notifications of nightly builds. How can we go back to only getting notifications of stable build updates?

Our plugin page looks like this:

If I go to Install by Web, I see a long list of only nightly builds. If I go to the Joomlapolis Downloads menu, I see only nightly builds available.

For example, at the top of our CB Paid Subscriptions dashboard, we see this message:
"Your version 4.5.3+build.2021.12.15.00.19.48.ee2aa73c6 is not the latest version 4.6.0 : CBSubs 4.6.0 is a recommended upgrade: Includes new features as well as bug fixes. See joomlapolis.com for details."

But when we click the link "See joomlapolis.com for details", we can only find nightly builds for download. We cannot find stable build version 4.6.0.

How can we update all of these old nightly build plugins to stable build versions?
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2 years 3 days ago #329219 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Nightly builds vs. Stable builds conundrum
Version checker cannot and never could only check for stable versions of plugins. Setting "Plugin Version and Build Release Checking" to "No" turns off build release checks for core CB and turns off version checking for plugins entirely.

There is no functional difference in the testing and review process of build vs stable. They go through the same testing processes. In fact build releases are considered, by me at least, more stable than stable due to this as build releases contain fixes stable releases do not.

With CB 3.0 we're looking into changing our versioning structure to make all this easier. Likely to a 4 digit version semver (e.g. major.minor.patch.build = 4.6.0.8) as our build releases are technically stable.

But when we click the link "See joomlapolis.com for details", we can only find nightly builds for download. We cannot find stable build version 4.6.0.

It's available on our downloads page below using the version dropdown. The dropdwon is even searchable. Type 4.6.0 in the search and it's the last entry.

www.joomlapolis.com/downloads

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boyjahq

2 years 2 days ago #329220 by boyjahq
Replied by boyjahq on topic Nightly builds vs. Stable builds conundrum
So there is not way to only be notified of stable build releases and not nightly builds? That is so strange because in the past (a couple of years ago?) we never saw nightly build notifications. Only stable release notifications, for Community Builder extension and plugins (specifically CB Paid Subs)

I did see the CB Paid Subscriptions item at the bottom of the page to which you refer, but it is the Preset version with lots of stuff that we don't need. And, when it is installed, it unpublishes the upgraded plugins, so the live site is problematic until we go through and delete those items that we don't want and then publish the items that we do want. Was it always this way? I remember getting notifications of stable release updates only for the items that we had installed in our system.

As for installing nightly or latest updates, we are nervous about that on our live site. During the development period we had a few incidents where the nightly update caused some serious problems for us. The last one was a nightly update to the image gallery plugin that resulted in all of our painstakingly made plugin settings being set to default settings. Then the next fix for that issue 2 days later resulted in a redirect error when the user logged out. It is the reason that we would really like to only use stable release versions on the live site.

One more thing for reference: I went to the Downloads page and put 4.6.0 into the search box. The result was a blank white page where the list of downloads was and the search box was also gone. We could not figure out how to get it back. Reloading the page did not fix it, even after clearing browser cache. We clicked each of the filter links in the right column (All, Free, CB Plugins, etc.) but could not recover the page. The only link that worked was the Presets link, which showed 2 items: CB Group Jive and CB Paid Subscriptions. Aside from that, we could not get the full list and search box to come back. We tried on Safari, Firefox and Brave browsers, clearing cache and reloading on each of them but still could not get the page to come back. Going to another page on the Joomlapolis website and then going back to downloads also did not work.

2 years 2 days ago #329221 by krileon
You can only turn off core CB build notifications using that parameter. There is no option at this time to turn it off for plugins. Will review adding a setting for this sooner than planned.

That is so strange because in the past (a couple of years ago?) we never saw nightly build notifications. Only stable release notifications, for Community Builder extension and plugins (specifically CB Paid Subs)

Build releases didn't exist several years ago so I guess you could consider that a means of only being notified for stable releases.

As for installing nightly or latest updates, we are nervous about that on our live site. During the development period we had a few incidents where the nightly update caused some serious problems for us. The last one was a nightly update to the image gallery plugin that resulted in all of our painstakingly made plugin settings being set to default settings. Then the next fix for that issue 2 days later resulted in a redirect error when the user logged out. It is the reason that we would really like to only use stable release versions on the live site.

The same exact issues can and have happened with stable releases. We can't always prevent bugs and we sometimes miss them during testing. I'm one person so there's only so much I can see, but build releases at least let me fix critical issues immediately. Regardless will review adding a parameter for this.

One more thing for reference: I went to the Downloads page and put 4.6.0 into the search box. The result was a blank white page where the list of downloads was and the search box was also gone. We could not figure out how to get it back. Reloading the page did not fix it, even after clearing browser cache. We clicked each of the filter links in the right column (All, Free, CB Plugins, etc.) but could not recover the page. The only link that worked was the Presets link, which showed 2 items: CB Group Jive and CB Paid Subscriptions. Aside from that, we could not get the full list and search box to come back. We tried on Safari, Firefox and Brave browsers, clearing cache and reloading on each of them but still could not get the page to come back. Going to another page on the Joomlapolis website and then going back to downloads also did not work.

No idea what to suggest. This works perfectly fine in my tests. See the below of it working. I've tested Chrome, FireFox, and Edge.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
Attachments:

2 years 2 days ago #329222 by boyjahq
Replied by boyjahq on topic Nightly builds vs. Stable builds conundrum
I typed 4.6.0 into the search box at the top of the page:

This is what makes the white page.

Typing 4.6.0 into the search specifically for CB Paid Subscriptions gave the same list that your screenshot shows, but there is not way for us to know which of those is the stable release. Since they all have +build.xxx in the name, we assumed that they are all nightly builds. The only place we could find an option for Stable Release was under the Presets - CB Paid Subscriptions.
Attachments:

2 years 2 days ago #329223 by krileon
That's to search the downloads page for a specific download (e.g. you could type subscriptions and it will show CB Paid Subscriptions). That doesn't search versions. Version searching is done from each of the version dropdowns. I apologize for the confusion.

I see the blank page issue. Thank you for letting me know. Have made a note to review fixing that tomorrow. That happens when the search results is empty, but it shouldn't do that. Logging out and back into JP will fix it.

but there is not way for us to know which of those is the stable release.

Stable won't have +build. My screenshot shows the stable 4.6.0 version for CB Paid Subscriptions.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.460 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn