Subscribing user to downgraded free plan upon expiration

9 months 2 weeks ago #334450 by AlexRag

If this is all just to get around AcyMailing checking the blocked state of the Joomla user see if there's a setting for a newsletter to ignore that as maybe that'd be a better solution. I'm not sure why you want to manually send an expiration newsletter to them as you can automate that with CBSubs Mailer.

The emails I sent from AcyMailing weren't to do with the expirations but more to target the free members for other messaging.   I also even created an "Expired Members" email list and I realizes that since they were disabled, AcyMailing did the same so the list is sort of useless.   

Ultimately, I just misunderstood what happens when a member's plan expires. Being able to automatically configure downgrading a member to another CBSubs plan would be great (hint, hint feature request. ;) )

In any case,  I had a look at the CB Subs Import tool, and WOW, that makes the move from one plan to another so easy!  The "test" option is awesome too!  

If I do decide to enable the "Upgrade to this" option and let the member downgrade themselves to "reactivate" their account is there a way to rename the "Upgrade" Button that appears below the options?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

9 months 2 weeks ago #334451 by krileon

Being able to automatically configure downgrading a member to another CBSubs plan would be great (hint, hint feature request. ;) )

It's planned, but it's extremely complex as any feature we officially implement has to support every usecase available and I don't really have a solution at the moment to deal with all the possible usecases for plans in CBSubs for something like this (e.g. parent > child, child expires, parent is active, where to move them? stay in parent and do nothing? move anyway?).

If I do decide to enable the "Upgrade to this" option and let the member downgrade themselves to "reactivate" their account is there a way to rename the "Upgrade" Button that appears below the options?

For that 1 specific plan, no. You can however change it globally using language overrides.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

9 months 2 weeks ago - 9 months 2 weeks ago #334453 by AlexRag

It's planned, but it's extremely complex as any feature we officially implement has to support every usecase available and I don't really have a solution at the moment to deal with all the possible usecases for plans in CBSubs for something like this (e.g. parent > child, child expires, parent is active, where to move them? stay in parent and do nothing? move anyway?).

Ah yes, lots of scenarios to think of.  

For that 1 specific plan, no. You can however change it globally using language overrides.

I was fine with a global option, but could not find which value in the CB Language plugin (Default language (English)) in the search bar.   In my case I also added a donation item sot the button actually says "UPGRADE / DONATE".    [UPDATE:  I found the override -  UPGRADE_f68358)

So I tried the test run of the import tool and see this error:

Import failed [DRY-RUN - NO REAL SUBSCRIPTION]:

Some users have already subscriptions: user ids:   xxx

0 users subscribed to plan: Fan Club , with state: Active

Following Users could not be subscribed (usernames) because either: (A) an exclusive active subscription exists that would conflict with the imported user subscription, or: ( B ) it is a children plan but the parent plan subscription does not exist:

xxx

I found something really interesting.   The users that I see showing up as a result of this error are one who had signed up for the free plan, then later upgraded to a paid plan.  They did not renew this year so when the expiration date passed (June 30), their plan reverted to a free plan again and remained enabled.

1.  If I use the import tool will the users who are not part of this scenario still be moved or will the import fail altogether because of these users who are already in the free plan?

2. Is the subscription date supposed to be the date that should be when they were moved to the new plan? I selected July 1 as the plans are June 30 - July 1 annually)

Attachments:

9 months 1 week ago - 9 months 1 week ago #334457 by krileon
It will just skip over users that fail. It should continue working through your users. The subscription date is the date their subscription starts.

I found something really interesting. The users that I see showing up as a result of this error are one who had signed up for the free plan, then later upgraded to a paid plan. They did not renew this year so when the expiration date passed (June 30), their plan reverted to a free plan again and remained enabled.

That will indeed work as long as the free plan has a duration longer than the paid plan. It causes the free plan to basically pause. Doesn't have to be a free plan either. Upgrading won't cause them to "lose" time they paid for. When reverting back it should reactivate if the previous subscription still has remaining time. So in the case of free lifetime it always should. There's a lot of complex usecases where it won't work through, but simple Plan A to Plan B should work.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

9 months 1 week ago #334466 by AlexRag

It will just skip over users that fail. It should continue working through your users. The subscription date is the date their subscription starts.

Thanks, good to know.  I will run the import.  There are only about a dozen or so users it will affect.   

Worse case is I manually move them.  If this is the case is it best to go into their membership tab in the admin area?

That will indeed work as long as the free plan has a duration longer than the paid plan. It causes the free plan to basically pause. Doesn't have to be a free plan either. Upgrading won't cause them to "lose" time they paid for. When reverting back it should reactivate if the previous subscription still has remaining time. So in the case of free lifetime it always should. There's a lot of complex usecases where it won't work through, but simple Plan A to Plan B should work.

The free plan is set to lifetime.   So to confirm, for these users, since they started out as free, then upgraded to a paid 1-year plan and later let it lapse the user reverts to the free lifetime plan on expiration?   This is the expected/normal behaviour?

9 months 1 week ago #334470 by krileon

Thanks, good to know.  I will run the import.  There are only about a dozen or so users it will affect.   

Worse case is I manually move them.  If this is the case is it best to go into their membership tab in the admin area?

The import feature has several ways to import. You can supply a list of user ids for example if there's just a few you know need to be moved, but yes the alternative is to edit them in CB > User Management.

The free plan is set to lifetime.   So to confirm, for these users, since they started out as free, then upgraded to a paid 1-year plan and later let it lapse the user reverts to the free lifetime plan on expiration?   This is the expected/normal behaviour?

I believe so, yes. As long as it was an upgrade and the upgraded plan has time remaining, which it should since it's lifetime.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn