Pre Planning Migrating to Joomla 4

4 months 4 weeks ago #336116 by AlexRag
Pre Planning Migrating to Joomla 4 was created by AlexRag
I am making preparations to migrate a Joomla 3.10.12 site to Joomla 4 that has both CB and CBSubs.

Now that CNB needs SQL 8.x as well as PHP8 I am also looking to upgrade my server.

A. To help me prepare, first the migration to J4 (and eventually J5)

1. Should I update to CB/CBSubs as high as it can go with PHP 8.01 and MySQL 5.7.44 then...
2. Update/Migrate to J4
3. Upgrade the server to MySQL 8.0.13 or above (and PHP 8.)
4. Then update CB/CBSubs to the latest versions.

B. Are there any things to be aware of with regard to CBSubs and integrations like Stripe during and after the upgrading/migration?  Eg. will things like subscriptions, etc. remain unaffected?

Thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

4 months 4 weeks ago - 4 months 4 weeks ago #336121 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Pre Planning Migrating to Joomla 4
CB doesn't require MySQL 8, but Joomla 5 does so if you plan to upgrade to Joomla 5 then yes you'll need to handle moving to a different MySQL version (MariaDB is also supported and the equivalent is 10.4.0). As for what order to do all of this in see the following.

1. Create FULL Backup
2. Update CB
3. Update CB Plugins
4. Update 3rd Party Extensions
5. Unpublish Kunena (if installed) as it's J3 and J4 versions are not cross compatible
6. Migrate Joomla to Joomla 4
7. Update Kunena (if installed) and republish
8. Go through your install and verify everything is working as expected

I do not recommend doing this immediately to a live site. Do so on a clone of your site so you know what to expect and prepare for.

As for what to expect from CB/CBSubs is that it should work same as it did before. Our products are loosely coupled to Joomla so Joomla changes rarely impact us. With CB 3.x we'll be entirely decoupled from Joomla and have a thin API layer between the two making CB even more Joomla future safe.

Now that that's done if you plan to migrate to Joomla 5 you'll need to move all your MySQL data to MySQL 8. This isn't a simple update. The data itself needs to be completely migrated over. This can be done from a command line or exporting/importing the data. Your host might be able to help you with this.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 months 4 weeks ago #336135 by AlexRag
Replied by AlexRag on topic Pre Planning Migrating to Joomla 4
Thank you for the guidance.   I did not realize the steps to deal with Kunena (unpublishing it) which I would have overlooked!  

I think I'll plan to use a Migrare extension which creates a staging area to test the migration before pushing it to the live site.

For the eventual upgrade to the newer version of MySQL, I think my web host will help me with that part (hopefully).   I will double-check before I make that leap.

So to confirm for Joomla 4.x and CB/BSubs  PHP 8.01 and MySQL 5.7.44 are fine for the time being?

4 months 3 weeks ago #336141 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Pre Planning Migrating to Joomla 4

So to confirm for Joomla 4.x and CB/BSubs PHP 8.01 and MySQL 5.7.44 are fine for the time being?

Yes.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AlexRag

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn