.heic image file upload

1 month 4 weeks ago #337379 by boyjahq
.heic image file upload was created by boyjahq
Many users with iPhones have images in .heic format and they complain that they are not able to upload their photos in Community Builder. Is there a way to allow this image file format to be uploaded?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

1 month 4 weeks ago #337381 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic .heic image file upload
Upload to where? Image field? CB Gallery? CB GroupJive Photos? They all have their own uploading behavior so will need to know which specifically is having problems. iPhone should be automatically converting to an accepted format during photo selection, but there might be a missing "accept" property on a file input somewhere.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

1 month 4 weeks ago #337383 by boyjahq
Replied by boyjahq on topic .heic image file upload

Upload to where? Image field? CB Gallery? CB GroupJive Photos? They all have their own uploading behavior so will need to know which specifically is having problems.

Well, that doesn't make any sense. All of them should have the same settings if the only purpose is to upload image files. If not, where is the clear and obvious place where we can stipulate what formats are allowed for any given whatever it is in CB?  But, in this case, users can upload photos to their profile and other upload file fields that we have created. Regardless of where it is done, nowhere can we find (as we have in all other apps that allow file uploads) a place where CB allows us to specify supported or allowable upload formats.

iPhone should be automatically converting to an accepted format during photo selection, but there might be a missing "accept" property on a file input somewhere.

No, iPhone does not have that function. Neither does any other phone. All of our other extensions give us the ability to upload .heic image files. Is it possible or not with Community Builder, regardless of what image file upload part of CB we are using.

1 month 4 weeks ago - 1 month 4 weeks ago #337384 by krileon

Well, that doesn't make any sense. All of them should have the same settings if the only purpose is to upload image files. If not, where is the clear and obvious place where we can stipulate what formats are allowed for any given whatever it is in CB? But, in this case, users can upload photos to their profile and other upload file fields that we have created. Regardless of where it is done, nowhere can we find (as we have in all other apps that allow file uploads) a place where CB allows us to specify supported or allowable upload formats.

Most upload types are hardcoded. Only File fieldtypes and CB Gallery for File uploads let you specify extensions.

No, iPhone does not have that function. Neither does any other phone. All of our other extensions give us the ability to upload .heic image files. Is it possible or not with Community Builder, regardless of what image file upload part of CB we are using.

Yes it absolutely does. If the "accept" property is specified on a file input iPhone will auto-convert from HEIC to JPG or whatever supported image file format is available. This is built into the device. HEIC can only be processed server side with a non-core PHP image processing library (e.g. Imagick, which CB supports but you must install on your server). HEIC is not a browser safe format that's why it has to be converted as they literally cannot render in a browser.

Regardless of my above replies I found the issue. We're missing the "accept" attribute on file inputs. This will be a multi-part fix. First a fix in core CB.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/9375

Next will be a fix in CB Gallery and CB Activity for their file inputs.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/9376
forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/9377

Will release new CB Gallery and CB Activity releases once the fix is released in a new CB build release.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

1 month 4 weeks ago - 1 month 4 weeks ago #337385 by krileon
A new CB build releases and CB Gallery release are now available with the accept attribute fix on file inputs. CB Activity release will be later as am working on investigating a separate issue.

Edit: A new CB Activity build releases is also now available with the fix for CB Gallery uploads on stream.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--
The following user(s) said Thank You: boyjahq, MacJoomla

1 month 4 weeks ago - 1 month 4 weeks ago #337398 by boyjahq
Replied by boyjahq on topic .heic image file upload
Hey! It works now! Users are now able to upload images of file type .heic! And they don't have to do any kind of auto-convert process. AWESOME!
The following user(s) said Thank You: krileon

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.330 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn