phpmailer.lang-pl.php - old file that supported sending emails

4 weeks 2 hours ago #337691 by ernienet
I'm experiencing an issue with someone sending emails through a client's hosting account and need to eliminate all possible issues.

MySites.guru lists all files capable of sending email. One of the files is /administrator/components/com_comprofiler/library/phpmailer/language/phpmailer.lang-pl.php. It's a ten year-old file, so I'm wondering if it's an old file that is no longer used in Community Builder.

If it IS an old file that can be removed, are there any others I should know about? This particular website (and also several other clients of mine), go back over 10 years of upgrading as far back as Joomla 1.0. I've been using Community Builder on those sites for about that long, too. So it's possible there might be some old files that were never deleted during upgrades over the years.

Thank you,
Ernie

Please Log in to join the conversation.

3 weeks 6 days ago #337702 by krileon
That file is not used. I don't think it has been used since CB 1.x days to be honest. It's safe to delete. CB doesn't include its own phpmailer at all anymore so you can delete the entire /library/phpmailer folder.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

3 weeks 6 days ago #337704 by ernienet
Thank you for the response - are there any other old files or folders that might be lurking around my websites that have been upgraded over the years?

Do you know if a hacker might have discovered that PHPMailer folder and somehow used it to send emails through the hosting account? They were able to do it again overnight, and neither my hosting company nor anyone in the Facebook group has any idea how they're doing it.

Thank you,
Ernie

3 weeks 6 days ago #337707 by krileon

Thank you for the response - are there any other old files or folders that might be lurking around my websites that have been upgraded over the years?

I've no idea. You can unpackage CBs zip file and compare file structures and remove anything that doesn't appear to exist anymore.

Do you know if a hacker might have discovered that PHPMailer folder and somehow used it to send emails through the hosting account?

I don't see how. Those old phpmailer files didn't do anything except provide phpmailer class object. The language specific files were just language strings for phpmailer.

They were able to do it again overnight, and neither my hosting company nor anyone in the Facebook group has any idea how they're doing it.

Could be a poorly configured Email auto action. Could be Joomla contact form. Could be anything really. You'll need to go through your install and ensure you've properly secured it from abuse.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn