[SOLVED] School website with Groupjive needs

14 years 7 months ago #111522 by rstoffiere
I am considering CBSubs for a website I am developing for a client that is a school district. I am using CB 1.2.1, Groupjive 1.8 B4, and Joomla 1.5.14.

Currently, only school employees have users created in the CB database, and the public would have none. In this way, teachers could use their profile pages to provide information to their classes. In addition, I just integrated Groupjive to give teachers a place to provide activity pages for groups in the school (yearbook, math club, cheerleading, etc). This works great.

However, there is no way I can find that will allow general site guests (students and parents) to be informed when a GJ group member posts a new bulletin. If the students and parents had site logins, they could enroll in the group and my problem would be solved. I could do this, but they would then end up with profile pages, and a slew of other stuff, that I do not wish for them to have.

Could I use CBSubs to create a public profile type that would capture very general info, and allow the users to have one tab on their profile - that whcih manages their Acajoom News subscriptions?

Rick

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2009/09/18 17:45

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 7 months ago #111581 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:School website with Groupjive needs
CBSubs can hide tabs and fields, whether on profile or even on registration using CBSubs Fields Tabs Protection plugin. In a sense this allows for multiple "profile types". So yes could accomplish a "basic" profile for public users as you're wanting. You could go as far as to have public, student, and teacher profile types. All with different profile limitations.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

14 years 7 months ago #111582 by rstoffiere
Replied by rstoffiere on topic Re:School website with Groupjive needs
Thanks for the answer. It appears that CBSubs will do what I need, but I am really hesitant to spend the money without being able to try it out. Is there a demo version that can be downloaded?

14 years 7 months ago #111591 by krileon
rstoffiere wrote:

Thanks for the answer. It appears that CBSubs will do what I need, but I am really hesitant to spend the money without being able to try it out. Is there a demo version that can be downloaded?

There is no demo version available, but you are given a 30 day money back guarantee if you are not happy with your purchase. Just send a PM to Beat in the event you want a refund.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

14 years 7 months ago #111592 by rstoffiere
Replied by rstoffiere on topic Re:School website with Groupjive needs
Ah, so I suppose that if I'd read the materials, I would have found that instead of bugging you!!!

I will give it a try.

Thanks.

14 years 7 months ago #111597 by krileon
rstoffiere wrote:

Ah, so I suppose that if I'd read the materials, I would have found that instead of bugging you!!!

I will give it a try.

Thanks.

No worries, I'm here to help. B)

I do suggest reading over this to help give you a better idea of CBSubs capabilities.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn