User setup as person or company issues

14 years 5 months ago #117527 by apeck
Have read carefully through the forums and could not find enough info on long term issues allowing registrations that are both users and organizations (a corporate renewing member for example).

I have been urging (with opposition) to keep the system to people only as that is how it is designed. Does this really matter? How would we handle the change if the person behind jos_user record changes, layoff etc.?

There will be information that is related to the person as part of the record too that has to stay related to the same individual even though they no longer represent the same organization. Our relation with the organization would continue with a new individual.

This is my first CBSubs setup and any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 5 months ago #117532 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:User setup as person or company issues
Not sure what the primary issue is, searching forums will reveal multiple instances and explanations of using CBSubs for two different profile types. The following is an ideal scenario, but this is simply 1 of the many formats and use cases you can use. B)

Parent: Registered - Free
Child: Employer - Exclusive, No Upgrade
Child: Employee - Exclusive, No Upgrade

Edit the employer and employee plans accordingly to restrict what parts of the site you want them to have access to.

If say a user is fired, delete them. The user count for your license is based off the total records in the users table, "fired" or not they will count against your license limit; if you expect many numbers you should purchase a higher limit license.

As far as employers passing off the account, they simply need give the login access to the new employer at which point the new employer should change their password. ;)

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

14 years 5 months ago #117538 by apeck
Replied by apeck on topic Re:User setup as person or company issues
Thanks for the fast reply. We have 3 membership types that are organizations and four types that are persons. Each corporate type includes a few 'free' subscriptions (memberships) for whomever they want. We need to track this person and continue to track them when/if they leave the original organization, the plan is that they would change their own company info on their profile. We also want to track the membership of the organization itself (I realize this would have to be tied to a user record)

If a user left a corporate subscription before expiry they would keep their access rights so could we just create a new corporate subscription with the new contact for the remainder of the subscription?

I hope I'm making sense here.

We've got a 5,000lic. and less than 700usrs. At some point we would have to decide to give up on a renewal and delete/archive the record.

14 years 5 months ago #117577 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:User setup as person or company issues
What you're requesting is outside the scope of CBSubs, it's primary use is to handle subscriptions and granting access to various parts of your site. It isn't and don't believe it can be used to track users or handle organizations. You'll need another extension working in conjunction with CBSubs to handle that aspect.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.278 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn