Group-to-group relationships

2 years 3 months ago #327518 by msor
Group-to-group relationships was created by msor
Questions about app ability to connect social groups with other social groups:

-Want social groups to be able to connect with each other that allows for
access privileges to be set between them.
An example would be an image or document that is shared in one social group, that it could also be accessible for view by the associated groups members.

- Want the specific users in one social group to be able to inherit certain
privileges of the other social group they have joined, without becoming members of the
groups that they have joined on a group-to-group relationship.
An example is if an event was scheduled in one group it could also be set to be posted in another group associated.
An example is or if members in one group could join another group and maintain anonymity.

- Want the social groups to create an instance of an "umbrella" social group around
the group-to-group relationship.
An example would be that a social group that has "joined" another social group can select being viewed by outside members as a larger group that includes both social groups and can be recognized as one group by non-members.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #327535 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Group-to-group relationships
By social groups do you mean groups in CB GroupJive or do you intent to group users together by some other means?

-Want social groups to be able to connect with each other that allows for
access privileges to be set between them.
An example would be an image or document that is shared in one social group, that it could also be accessible for view by the associated groups members.

With CB GroupJive that will always be the case. Users whom joined the group can see that groups content and interact with it. If you don't intend to use GJ then you could use CB Privacy combined with Connections and have privacy controls on fields or tabs limited to specific Connection Types in order to group people together. There's several other options as well like using Joomlas built in Usergroups then setting privacy controls to a specific usergroup.

- Want the specific users in one social group to be able to inherit certain
privileges of the other social group they have joined, without becoming members of the
groups that they have joined on a group-to-group relationship.
An example is if an event was scheduled in one group it could also be set to be posted in another group associated.
An example is or if members in one group could join another group and maintain anonymity.

There's no functionality for groups being parents of another group. You can only interact with a groups content if you're a member of that group. So you can only mark yourself as attending in a CB GroupJive Event if you join that group first.

- Want the social groups to create an instance of an "umbrella" social group around
the group-to-group relationship.
An example would be that a social group that has "joined" another social group can select being viewed by outside members as a larger group that includes both social groups and can be recognized as one group by non-members.

Since groups can't have parents I don't really see how to do this. You can organize groups into categories, but group categories have no join functionality.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

2 years 3 months ago #327559 by msor
Replied by msor on topic Group-to-group relationships
Thank you for the clarity of features, as I dont see any other options for a builder that supports social site, I have gone ahead with the subscription, based on how well you responded to my questions.

I will be interested to find out what possibilities I could explore to have these features built into the package, or if a new platform needs to be built to include these features.

For now, I will consider that the Umbrella Social group that includes the smaller social groups to be created as a third group that includes the members of the other two groups.

Thank you for your help, I look forward to working with the team here.

The documentation is great and the support is very trustworthy from my experience so far.
The following user(s) said Thank You: krileon

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn