Add to user group based on profile field

1 year 9 months ago #329770 by ialearn
Good day,

I currently use Easy Profile to manage user profile fields, I am considering moving to Community builder but first I need to determine if it will work for what I need.

I need the system to automatically block an individual from doing anything on the site and force them to complete required fields.
I need a way to create conditional fields, it should give them a user field based on a previous field selection that was made.
I need to have a way that if a drop down option is selected on a specific field that the system then automatically adds that user to a user group linked to that drop down option.

Please let me know if community builder can do this.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

1 year 9 months ago #329771 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Add to user group based on profile field

I need the system to automatically block an individual from doing anything on the site and force them to complete required fields.

It's possible to do that using CB Auto Actions, but not typically recommended as it results in navigation being hijacked and could disrupt any other redirect behaviors like force password reset or privacy consent redirects.

I need a way to create conditional fields, it should give them a user field based on a previous field selection that was made.

CB Conditional can provide this.

I need to have a way that if a drop down option is selected on a specific field that the system then automatically adds that user to a user group linked to that drop down option.

On dropdown value change or when they actually save that field to their profile? If saving to profile then CB Auto Actions can do this. If you mean on dropdown change its a bit trickier since you need to write the necessary JS to preform a fetch to a URL that will do the usergroup change (CB Auto Actions can deal with the usergroup change in this case).

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

1 year 9 months ago #329774 by ialearn
Replied by ialearn on topic Add to user group based on profile field

It's possible to do that using CB Auto Actions, but not typically recommended as it results in navigation being hijacked and could disrupt any other redirect behaviors like force password reset or privacy consent redirects.

We have a company that does online training, we offer a variety of courses such as skills courses and Qualifications, since the qualifications are regulated, the accreditation body requires additional info such as Employment info, residential address, copies of previous qualification certificates ect. we don't need this info for the skills courses, so by default we do not request this info, once a person registers for a qualification we add them to a specific user group which then activates the fields, unfortunately since these fields were not required on registration we have found that 90% of people will not edit their profile to add the additional info unless we block them from doing anything until they have. So currently we are implementing the block on login after they have been added to the user group, which means that this would not ever occur on registration and should only occur once the privacy consent has already been given.

CB Conditional can provide this.

Great to hear thank you

On dropdown value change or when they actually save that field to their profile? If saving to profile then CB Auto Actions can do this. If you mean on dropdown change its a bit trickier since you need to write the necessary JS to preform a fetch to a URL that will do the usergroup change (CB Auto Actions can deal with the usergroup change in this case).

Basically the way it works currently is on their profile page we give them a single option drop down, with "Company A, Company B and Company C" as option if they select Company A they are added to Company A's user group when they save their profile, and so on

1 year 9 months ago #329778 by krileon

We have a company that does online training, we offer a variety of courses such as skills courses and Qualifications, since the qualifications are regulated, the accreditation body requires additional info such as Employment info, residential address, copies of previous qualification certificates ect. we don't need this info for the skills courses, so by default we do not request this info, once a person registers for a qualification we add them to a specific user group which then activates the fields, unfortunately since these fields were not required on registration we have found that 90% of people will not edit their profile to add the additional info unless we block them from doing anything until they have. So currently we are implementing the block on login after they have been added to the user group, which means that this would not ever occur on registration and should only occur once the privacy consent has already been given.

Then you should be able to keep them on the profile edit page after login until those fields are filled in using CB Auto Actions. You'll have to use a high up Joomla event to stop them from navigating away though. More about how to set this up can be explained if you choose to go this route.

Basically the way it works currently is on their profile page we give them a single option drop down, with "Company A, Company B and Company C" as option if they select Company A they are added to Company A's user group when they save their profile, and so on

Ok, that's done easily enough with CB Auto Actions. If you choose to go with CB Auto Actions more can be explained on how to set this up. Feel free to give it a try on our demo site as well as we provide backend and frontend demo access.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #331350 by ialearn
Replied by ialearn on topic Add to user group based on profile field
Hi
I have looked at the demo and it seems like community builder might work for us, before I subscribe I have one more question.

Does community builder allow an admin or super user to "Login As" to login to a users account from the back end ?

Also does Community builder allow for bulk profile creation?

Thanks

1 year 5 months ago #331352 by krileon

Does community builder allow an admin or super user to "Login As" to login to a users account from the back end ?

Not in core CB, but it's possible to do that using CB Auto Actions like done similarly on our demo site.

Also does Community builder allow for bulk profile creation?

You can use the import feature in CB > User Management (top right of the table) to mass import profiles.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.290 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn