[#2636] How can a user delete his account

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #169198 by erichburkhard
[#2636] How can a user delete his account was created by erichburkhard
I have a community web site with joomla 1.6.4 and CB 1.4. How is it possible for a registered user to delete his own account (I don't want that the administrator will be involved into this process)...I have found some extensions for this....but they are only available for joomla 1.5.x. Is there a mechanism in cb 1.4 or joomla 1.6.x to fulfill this ? - many thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 10 months ago #169260 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: How can a user delete his account
We've no feature for a user to disable or delete his account. You could create a new field such as a checkbox field and using incubator project CB Queries check if that field is checked or not and set the users account as blocked within _users database table. This would disable their account entirely. I've added a feature request for this however that can be followed at the below link.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/2636

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 9 months ago #171858 by erichburkhard
Replied by erichburkhard on topic Re: How can a user delete his account
Hi krileon, I worked out the SQL to set the user into status 'blocked', depending on the checkbox ....but is it not a better idea to DELETE the user from the _USERS and the _COMPROFILER db tables (simultaneously) ...or are there some side effects when I do this ? - thanks Eric

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #171867 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: How can a user delete his account
If you delete the account then all of their data would be lost, they'd have no chances of restoring the account. If it's blocked then they could request from an administrator to have the account restored, etc.. This helps avoid accidental deletion resulting in lost data.

Common practice for social sites is to disable the account, then after 90 days "prune" their database by deleting those users who have been disabled for more then 90 days; which can be done using filtering from user management.

The main issue with deleting through incubator projects is you'd be doing direct queries, which doesn't execute any CB triggers and thus none of CBs plugins which may act on a user delete would fire.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 9 months ago #171926 by erichburkhard
Replied by erichburkhard on topic Re: How can a user delete his account
...I think it makes sense :-) Thanks Eric

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn