GJ Forum Tab

12 years 7 months ago #176959 by drdehart
GJ Forum Tab was created by drdehart
We have users that are getting confused over the forum view on the "Forum" tab, and the forum itself, so my thought is that we might need to just give them one choice. Is there a way to not show the Forum tab, but still show the Group Forum menu item?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #177062 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: GJ Forum Tab
Don't understand the confusion, but no there's no way to do this without editing the plugin and placing a return at the top of the function responsible for rendering the tab so it won't render anything. The tab display is 80% of the plugin however and gives users quick access to forum posts for that group.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 7 months ago #177115 by drdehart
Replied by drdehart on topic Re: GJ Forum Tab
Thanks for the explanation, we will look into that. Hacking the application is probably not in our best interest, but if there was a setting at the group level that could hide the forum tab but still show the Group Forum menu item - it would help.

It's not all that confusing to us, but to a user just starting out in online communities and forum applications, it is; a lot of our audience is new to forum use (so we are trying to make it as simple as possible to use). The main sources of confusion are that 1. there are 2 forum views (the Forum tab and the forum itself), 2. often our groups are divided into sub-groups and one sub-group is not usually interested in the posts related to another subgroup (the Forum tab co-mingles all topics), and finally there are 3 different ways to get into the forum, each of which land the [unacquainted] user in a different place:

1. Click on thread in the Forum tab
2. Group Menu / Group Forum link
3. Link in forum notification emails. (this is why I PM'd you about putting the forum message in the email, trying to mitigate their need to go to the forum just to find out what was posted)

The confusion is fueled by the lack of a "Back-to-Group" button, because they have to find their way back through the site navigation (takes 2 - 3 clicks).

Anyway, I guess what we really need is K2.0 so the group forums can be viewed within the GJ application.

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #177146 by krileon
It's not possible for me to add a back to group link in Kunena, they don't have the API to allow me to do this comfortable. This is something that will come when Kunena 2.0 is released where I can render the forums directly inside of the Group and they never have to leave the group.

Things will clear up more with future releases of Kunena, but as it stands it's more or less as good as it'll get regarding the integration

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drdehart

12 years 5 months ago #184053 by scottie33t
Replied by scottie33t on topic Re: GJ Forum Tab
I'm having this exact issue with my users as well.. They're confusion between the forum and groups tab. Where can I edit the field name? Perhaps there is a language file somewhere that I can edit to rename these tabs? A simple name change of this tab/field would avoid a lot of user confusion.

12 years 5 months ago #184069 by krileon
GJ 2.4 addresses this issue and has a Back link at the top and bottom of Kunena GJ forums when viewing a GJ category. As for language strings they're all customizable and all found in GJs language plugin included with the GJ package. Simply install and adjust as you would any language strings.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds