GJ feature clarifications

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #179685 by w2learn
GJ feature clarifications was created by w2learn
Hi,

I'm going through GJ's documentation (quite slim compared to CB) and have few questions. Please let me know if 3rd party solutions exist..or an alternate to GJ that can do these.

- I cannot get "Create Group" action visible anywhere. Expected it under "Category menu" (like "Join" is under Group entry)

- Can I have mailing-list created per group, rather than Forum (to allow email-only communication, without login to front-end). Ideally, the mail-list is searchable via front-end.

- Can GJ have admin defined custom fields (e.g location, status) or tabs (e.g Favorite urls)

- Only little customization of layout seems possible, for Projects or Categories e.g no templates beside table view for Categories and Groups. Cant hide the "Category Menu" column for non-registered users

- The Join, Invite type buttons are not visible inside the group profile page?

- How can I create a directory like joomlapolis Directory or JED with my categories and groups? Ideally, directory would be browseble by location field in addition to the "A-Z" bar on top or by clicking through categories.

Thx

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 6 months ago #179695 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: GJ feature clarifications

- I cannot get "Create Group" action visible anywhere. Expected it under "Category menu" (like "Join" is under Group entry)

Create Group is only found when viewing a category and is under the Category Menu. It can also be found on Group Menu if the group allows for nested groups. There is no global create group link because they're all very conditional depending on the category and configuration.

- Can I have mailing-list created per group, rather than Forum (to allow email-only communication, without login to front-end). Ideally, the mail-list is searchable via front-end.

No, GJ doesn't have a newsletter integration. It's possible one in the future maybe provided and likely for AcyMailing. Created the below feature ticket for this.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/2908

- Can GJ have admin defined custom fields (e.g location, status) or tabs (e.g Favorite urls)

No, this is likely something planned with release of CB 2.0 where GJ will become a part of the core.

- Only little customization of layout seems possible, for Projects or Categories e.g no templates beside table view for Categories and Groups. Cant hide the "Category Menu" column for non-registered users

100% of the frontend is template based, simply review the templates folder in GJs CB plugin folder and you can change anything you like. Even integrations can have PHP template files created to adjust their displays.

- The Join, Invite type buttons are not visible inside the group profile page?

Join is only visible if you can actually join that group. There is no invite button, but an invite tab seen on the groups page when you are a user of that group.

- How can I create a directory like joomlapolis Directory or JED with my categories and groups? Ideally, directory would be browseble by location field in addition to the "A-Z" bar on top or by clicking through categories.

You can't, it's not a directory extension. I recommend using any of the many Joomla extensions designed to be a directory.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #181039 by w2learn
Replied by w2learn on topic Re: GJ feature clarifications

Create Group is only found when viewing a category and is under the Category Menu. It can also be found on Group Menu if the group allows for nested groups. There is no global create group link because they're all very conditional depending on the category and configuration.

I still cannot get "Create Group" under Category Menu. I dont want sub-categories, but only allow any registered user to create group a group (without approval for now). I'll PM testuser login-details, if it helps. I've tried several combination of settings in Categories and Groups tabs without luck.

No, GJ doesn't have a newsletter integration. It's possible one in the future maybe provided and likely for AcyMailing. Created the below feature ticket for this.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/2908

Let me clarify my need: My need is something like googlegroups, not a one-way newsletter. Email to create new threads, receive replies and respond via email -- no need for front-end login, unless i want to go back and review old threads. When I login-to frontend, the Forum view is perfect.

12 years 5 months ago #181092 by krileon

I still cannot get "Create Group" under Category Menu. I dont want sub-categories, but only allow any registered user to create group a group (without approval for now). I'll PM testuser login-details, if it helps. I've tried several combination of settings in Categories and Groups tabs without luck.

Please PM backend super administrator login credentials as something is likely misconfigured resulting in registered users being blocked from creating groups. Please note group create access is based off the Global configuration see in CB > Config > Categories and is then based off the categories configuration it self.

Let me clarify my need: My need is something like googlegroups, not a one-way newsletter. Email to create new threads, receive replies and respond via email -- no need for front-end login, unless i want to go back and review old threads. When I login-to frontend, the Forum view is perfect.

I've no intentions to implement public access functions to groups.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 5 months ago #181171 by w2learn
Replied by w2learn on topic Re: GJ feature clarifications
Hi,

I PM the admin details yesterday. Did you find the problem?

Thx

12 years 5 months ago #181221 by krileon
There's no create link because you disabled the Panes, which is where the menu is at. I've re-enabled the Panes and tested that the link is present and working (you've renamed it to "New Project"). If you disable the panes you need to render them with the GJ module in a module position so there is access to the menu.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn