[SOLVED] If USERNAME not required then name is copied to it

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #180634 by CarlosEVC
I am experiencing that if USERNAME field is set as not required then NAME is copied to this field after registration. I expected it to be empty!!! I makes trouble, as if name is i.e. Jhon Lennon, then username will be Jhon Lennon too and not JhonLennon at least!!!

Please, can anybody explain?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 6 months ago #180668 by CarlosEVC
Hi Guys,

Is anybody listening? I have Professional Subscription, which is great, but not getting the promissed attention to questions. I have digged about this topic but did;t find explanation.

Please, help.

12 years 6 months ago #180673 by nant

CarlosEVC wrote: Hi Guys,

Is anybody listening? I have Professional Subscription, which is great, but not getting the promissed attention to questions. I have digged about this topic but did;t find explanation.

Please, help.

Promised attention is same or next business day - your first post is 15 hours old.

I am experiencing that if USERNAME field is set as not required then NAME is copied to this field after registration. I expected it to be empty!!! I makes trouble, as if name is i.e. Jhon Lennon, then username will be Jhon Lennon too and not JhonLennon at least!!!

Please, can anybody explain?

Explanation is that Joomla requires a username - a unique username, so CB grabs the name field to make a unique username for joomla.

If you want to produce a username based on some other algorithm you would need to create a CB plugin to do this.

12 years 6 months ago #180698 by CarlosEVC
Thank you for your satisfactory answer.

Is it possible to use Autoactions plugin (or another in the Incubator) to reset Username field?

If not, would you tell me which one is the function that has to be called from the API to do it?

Rgds,

Carlos

12 years 6 months ago #180724 by krileon

Is it possible to use Autoactions plugin (or another in the Incubator) to reset Username field?

Yes, you can use the Field action to alter the username to whatever you like such as [email] will change it to the users email address. If you need deeper processing you could use the Query action to update their username in the _users table giving your MYSQL functions are your disposal.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 5 months ago #181209 by CarlosEVC
This is very powerful and i am very glad to have all these plugins available.

I have here a couple of questions:

I want to make the username a serialnumber like “user_“ concatenated with [user_id] automatically set after registration.
Can i do it by just set one Field Action with set value equal to (i don‘t know if expressions are acepted in the Value field of the plugin)? Or do i have to set it in two actions, first set it to [user_id] and then set it again with prefix operation? In this latter, how do i know the order of the operations, to make it right?

:whistle:

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn