CBConnect first steps

12 years 4 months ago #186107 by RobertvanderHulst
CBConnect first steps was created by RobertvanderHulst
I have downloaded and installed CBConnect today. Disabled FacebookConnect and Twitter Connect and enabled CBConnect. Added the keys for Google, Twitter, Facebook and Windows Live.
This all seems to work.
I have also added some fields to show a 'twitter follow' button on the profile page, the facebook picture etc.
Now I would like to add a Facebook 'Like button' to the pages on my website, but I have no idea how to do this.
Can someone tell me how to do this ?

Robert

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 4 months ago #186125 by Big Tom
Replied by Big Tom on topic Re: CBConnect first steps
Before spending too much effort on that, check the "deprecated" section for that plugin. Apparently both Google and Facebook will soon not work any more.

12 years 4 months ago #186140 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re: CBConnect first steps

Big Tom wrote: Before spending too much effort on that, check the "deprecated" section for that plugin. Apparently both Google and Facebook will soon not work any more.

Kyle will respond here also when he is back online.

Please read the CB Connect 2.0 release announcement. You will see that it now uses the oAuth standard (Open Graph). The older method is depreciated I believe in favor of this new standard.

The Google Friends part of your statement is true I believe.

12 years 4 months ago #186153 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: CBConnect first steps

RobertvanderHulst wrote: I have downloaded and installed CBConnect today. Disabled FacebookConnect and Twitter Connect and enabled CBConnect. Added the keys for Google, Twitter, Facebook and Windows Live.
This all seems to work.
I have also added some fields to show a 'twitter follow' button on the profile page, the facebook picture etc.
Now I would like to add a Facebook 'Like button' to the pages on my website, but I have no idea how to do this.
Can someone tell me how to do this ?

Robert

The social fields are just that, fields, so using them outside of CB can be a bit tricky, but it's very doable of course. Using CB Content module you can render those fields such as a "Like" Facebook social plugin outside of CB. It can also be rendered inside of a Joomla article using CB Content Bot.

Big Tom wrote: Before spending too much effort on that, check the "deprecated" section for that plugin. Apparently both Google and Facebook will soon not work any more.

This is 100% false and a gross misunderstanding of my forge tickets.

Facebook works perfectly fine and will continue to do so. What is being depreciated is the FBML usage, which Facebook themselves is disabling on Jan 1st, 2012. I've already upgraded all, but 2 of the social plugins to HTML5 (those 2 are custom and purely FBML). The profile picture and invites social plugins will be going away due this depreciated on Facebooks side. Facebook Connect will of course remain and continue to work as normally.

It is true Google Friend Connect will be depreciated, but this isn't my fault. Google is officially dropping Friend Connect and it will be replaced with Google+ Connect. So at that time I will upgrade the plugin to drop Friend Connect and implement Google+ Connect when the API is available.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 4 months ago #186157 by RobertvanderHulst
Replied by RobertvanderHulst on topic Re: CBConnect first steps
Kyle,

Thanks for your answer.

krileon wrote: The social fields are just that, fields, so using them outside of CB can be a bit tricky, but it's very doable of course. Using CB Content module you can render those fields such as a "Like" Facebook social plugin outside of CB. It can also be rendered inside of a Joomla article using CB Content Bot.

Do you have an example how I would do this with CB Content. I have already tried it but without luck.

Robert

12 years 4 months ago #186162 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: CBConnect first steps
Sure, Navigate to CB > Field Management and create a new field of the Facebook Social Plugin type. Then select under the "Page" scope the "Like" social plugin. You may want to put this on a tab that is in a "not shown on profile" position however so users don't see it on their profile. Once done create a new CB Content module substituting in the field as follows.

[cb:userfield field="FIELD_NAME" /]

Replace FIELD_NAME with the actual name of the field (e.g. cb_like).

There's also a much much easier way of adding like links to your site if you have the CB login module present on all pages (this prepares the Facebook API) you can actually just straight use their HTML5 social plugin code as found below.

developers.facebook.com/docs/plugins/

Please note I've just released Facebook Connect 1.8 and CB Connect 2.0.1. They're both mandatory bug fix releases to resolve issues in IE. CB Connect 2.0.1 also fixes the redirect issues.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn