Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Groupjive 2.5rc2 Install Problems

12 years 3 months ago #190819 by scottie33t
Groupjive 2.5rc2 Install Problems was created by scottie33t
Hi, Groupjive 2.5rc installed fine with CB 1.7, however the new update yesterday (GJ 2.5rc2) won't install with CB 1.7. I prefer not to install CB 1.8 RC, becauise I've spent hours upon hours customizing CB1.7, however I need Groupjive 2.5rc2 as the 2.5rc1 version has the approval notification bug. Is there any possible way around this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 3 months ago #190920 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Groupjive 2.5rc2 Install Problems
You need CB 1.8 RC or greater for GJ 2.5 RC2. It uses new accesslevel/usergroup API added by CB 1.8 RC to make it better compatible with J2.5. GJ 2.5 stable will require CB 1.8 stable as well.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 3 months ago #190971 by scottie33t
Replied by scottie33t on topic Re: Groupjive 2.5rc2 Install Problems
Why does GJ 2.5RC1 work with CB1.7 stable, but 2.5RC2 doesn't? I was happy with 2.5RC1 except for the the approval e-mail bug. Isn't there a way to just fix the e-mail issue? I don't plan on using Joomla 2.5 (it's too slow and 90% of my extensions don't support it) for a long time to come. I just want a Groupjive component that works with my existing software.

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 3 months ago #190974 by krileon
GJ 2.5 RC2 requires CB 1.8 RC because it uses new ACL API implemented into CB 1.8 RC. GJ 2.5 stable will of course require CB 1.8 stable. You don't need Joomla 2.5 to use CB 1.8.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 3 months ago #190984 by scottie33t
Replied by scottie33t on topic Re: Groupjive 2.5rc2 Install Problems
If you're not going to roll this out for current/existing Community Builder applications (CB 1.7 and below), can you fix Groupjive 2.4 then? I don't understand the rush and flux of untested and buggy RC versions, when you haven't fixed stable versions yet. I spent several hours customizing CB 1.7 and I feel comfortable with it not having bugs and it's been built to fit my site. I have been waiting patiently since Nov 2011 for a fix to GJ 2.4, which was told Groupjive 2.5 would work and fix the 2.4 permission bugs on my site. Now you are telling me that I have to completely revamp my site with another potentially buggy CB 1.8RC before I can use Groupjive 2.5? What if CB 1.8RC brings a whole new host of problems and hurts my live site and waste several hours of time changing all this over and redoing customizations to uninstall it if it causes new issues?

If CB 1.7 is the stable version out at the moment, works well, and most of the bugs have been fixed by now, why not make GroupJive 2.5RC2 backwards compatible with it? If GJ 2.5RC2 will not work on CB 1.7 due to changing the ACL API, can you simply fix CJ 2.5RC1 or GJ 2.4 permission issues then, since they use the 1.7 ACL API?

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 3 months ago #191013 by krileon

If you're not going to roll this out for current/existing Community Builder applications (CB 1.7 and below), can you fix Groupjive 2.4 then?

No, that's the purpose of a new release; to fix bugs and add new features.

I don't understand the rush and flux of untested and buggy RC versions, when you haven't fixed stable versions yet.

We're using CB 1.8 RC here at Joomlapolis. We consider it pretty stable. Our release schedule is as follows.

Beta
RC
Stable

We've given you the RC to help test and ensure a quality stable release. If we can't get proper feedback then you'll never have a stable release. I can only fix what issues I am aware of and have fixed all known issues in GJ 2.5.

I spent several hours customizing CB 1.7 and I feel comfortable with it not having bugs and it's been built to fit my site.

You won't lose any customization unless you edited source code, which we've clearly stated numerous times we don't support core edits and that you'll lose your edits when you upgrade. All changes should be done through CB plugins as we've triggers for pretty much everything.

I have been waiting patiently since Nov 2011 for a fix to GJ 2.4, which was told Groupjive 2.5 would work and fix the 2.4 permission bugs on my site.

GJ 2.5 does fix those issues.

Now you are telling me that I have to completely revamp my site with another potentially buggy CB 1.8RC before I can use Groupjive 2.5?

Part of some of GJs fixes is to use new API in CB 1.8, so yes you need to upgrade your CB release. CB 1.8 RC is being used here at Joomlapolis so we consider it pretty stable. We're working on more bug fixes for CB 1.8 and working towards a stable release of CB 1.8 very soon. Same for GJ 2.5, but it will still require CB 1.8.

What if CB 1.8RC brings a whole new host of problems and hurts my live site and waste several hours of time changing all this over and redoing customizations to uninstall it if it causes new issues?

It's an RC I don't expect you to install it on a live site. It's for testing and feedback purposes primarily. I don't recommend installing RCs on a stable live site, but often our RCs are stable enough for production use.

If CB 1.7 is the stable version out at the moment, works well, and most of the bugs have been fixed by now, why not make GroupJive 2.5RC2 backwards compatible with it?

GJ 2.5 Stable isn't released yet. CB 1.8 Stable will release before GJ 2.5 Stable and thus GJ 2.5 Stable will use some APIs from CB 1.8 Stable and therefor require CB 1.8 Stable.

If GJ 2.5RC2 will not work on CB 1.7 due to changing the ACL API, can you simply fix CJ 2.5RC1 or GJ 2.4 permission issues then, since they use the 1.7 ACL API?

No, I won't be fixing previous releases. Part of the permissions fix required new API.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon