Custom XHTML attributes cause W3C validation fail

12 years 1 month ago #193982 by Richard67
Hello,

up to now (CB1.8), CB uses diverse custom XHTML attibutes, e.g. mod_cblogin with cb_captcha uses "mosLabel" and "mosReq", and the profile edit page uses "autocomplete".

This causes W3C XHTML markup validation to fail for pages which show the cb_login module with cb_captcha or fpr the profile page in edit mode.

Is this planned to be changed some day, e.g. by using class attributes or the HTML5 "data-" attributes?

If planned to be changed: When?

I've checked the php scripts of CB and cb_captcha and see it is not trivial: The "mosLabel" and "mosReq" attributes are used many times there.

But the "autocomplete" atribute I have not found to be used anywhere, maybe it is obsolete meanwhile? If so, can it be removed?

Best regards,

Richard

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #194101 by krileon
Yes it's planned to be changed with release of CB 2.0. Those tags are used by only Joomla releases (J1.0 and mambo) so are kept for backwards compatibility sake. "autocomplete" is used to disable form auto complete. It prevents browsers for example auto populating it with data and is a valid XHTML tag. I suppose you can remove it if you absolutely feel necessary. I believe only Webkit and Mozilla based browsers actually support it; meaning Firefox, Chrome, Safari, etc..

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 1 month ago #194151 by Richard67
Thanks for the answer.

Am looking forward to CB 2.0 then.

But regarding the autocomplete: Do you mean it will remain there?

This will cause W3C XHTML 1.0 markup validation to fail, because it if not W3C standard, whatever browsers may support or not.

Or is valid XHTML 1.1?

Best regards,

Richard

12 years 1 month ago #194241 by krileon

But regarding the autocomplete: Do you mean it will remain there?

Probably.

This will cause W3C XHTML 1.0 markup validation to fail, because it if not W3C standard, whatever browsers may support or not.

Or is valid XHTML 1.1?

autocomplete is not XHTML compliant until recent XHTML5. All past XHTML will never validate autocomplete as it started as a browser attribute specific to Webit/Mozilla engines (Chrome, Safari, Firefox). However, with HTML5 it's now a valid HTML attribute so of course XHTML needs to support it, but not with previous releases; only with recent XHTML5.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 1 month ago #194244 by Richard67
HTML5 is not Joomla standard yet, or is it?
What I've seen is all templates wich I know produce XHTML 1.

12 years 1 month ago #194258 by Richard67
Hi, it's me again.

From my point of view CB should generate valid markip according to the document type. Can't CB check the document type and integrate autocomplete only if HTML5?

Best regards,

Richard

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.286 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn