web links display

12 years 1 month ago #196489 by raniko
web links display was created by raniko
Hi. Based on my review of other posts, I don't think its possible to display web links on profiles in a tab based on the "author" like you can for articles, but I figured i would ask.

I know I can create cb fields to accomplish this, but it would be helpful to know if there is a module or a tab that can accomplish this as well. I expect to have users posting links periodically and creating fields would get cumbersome after awhile.

Thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 1 month ago #196498 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: web links display
Only way is to add multiple web address fields. Aside from that am not aware of any other solution. Next release of CB Query Field maybe able to do it as it'll be able to output multiple rows of a SELECT query and you could query Joomlas database for the weblinks (I assume you're currently using Joomlas weblinks component?).

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 1 month ago #196528 by raniko
Replied by raniko on topic Re: web links display
Yup, currently using weblinks component. I'm trying to create an alternate method using cb fields now... Is there any way to shorten the cb webaddress field display? The links I am trying to allow users to add are deep links, so they tend to be long. I'd love to have the ability to either: 1) add text that would then link to the correct url or 2) only show a certain a number of characters of the link when displayed on the profile. Are either of these currently possible?

Thanks.

12 years 1 month ago #196585 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: web links display

1) add text that would then link to the correct url

This is very doable. Please edit your Web Address fields and set the parameter "Type" to "Hypertext and URL".

2) only show a certain a number of characters of the link when displayed on the profile

You could use the "Max Length" parameter while editing a Web Address field.

If you still want to use Weblinks you could use the new release of CB Query Field with the below configuration and it'll display on profile all their weblinks on a user by user basis.

Query: SELECT `title`, `url` FROM `#__weblinks` WHERE `created_by` = [user_id]
Output: Multiple Rows
Row:
<div><a href="[column_url]">[column_title]</a></div>

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds