[SOLVED] Profile image permissions

12 years 3 weeks ago - 12 years 3 weeks ago #197269 by NickC4555
[SOLVED] Profile image permissions was created by NickC4555
I have recently built a site on Windows Server 2008 R2/IIS 7.5 and have a problem with profile image permissions. Images uploaded by users only have the following permissions:

System: Full control
The user account that uploaded it: Full control
Domain admins: Full control
IIS_IUSRS: Read

All of the corresponding thumbnail images in the same folder can be accessed by everyone. The permissions on the folder (images/comprofiler) allow all domain users access too, it's just the profile image files themselves that are locked down.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 3 weeks ago #197280 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Profile image permissions
Sorry, no experience with IIS. What's wrong with the permissions specifically? Are images not displaying on profile after upload? Have you checked to ensure you don't have image approval enabled within CB > Configuration > Images.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 3 weeks ago #197285 by NickC4555
Replied by NickC4555 on topic Re: Profile image permissions
Windows files don't have generic permissions as they do in Linux, permissions are granted to individuals and groups. For users to see a file, they have to be a member of a group that has permissions on the object. On my Windows system, CB users can see their own profile images because they are a named user on the file, but no other user can.

Somehow when CB uploads the file, it is overriding the permissions that should be inherited from the folder setting, but not on thumbnails, only the main image.

12 years 3 weeks ago - 12 years 3 weeks ago #197289 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Profile image permissions
Right, I understand Windows permission, but is first report of this; thank you for the further details.

CB does a chmod on the images to 0644 after completed upload, which gives write access to owner and read access to everyone else. Read access is sufficient for the image to display and other users don't need write access.

Does manually adjusting file ownership resolve the issue? Perhaps review your server configuration to ensure it's handling file permissions properly.

Sorry, while my platform is Windows I've zero experience with IIS so not much more I can advise.

You can find CBs image handling in its image library below.

administrator/components/com_comprofiler/imgToolbox.class.php

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 3 weeks ago #197292 by NickC4555
I have no idea what chmod does on a Windows system! Before your reply I had already tried commenting out the chmod lines and it makes no difference.

Manually adjusting file ownership does resolve the issue. The server permissions are set correctly; a file copied in to the images/comprofiler directory inherits the folder settings as it should.

I think the most significant factor is that the main image gets the wrong permissions, but thumbnails, which CB stores in the same folder, do not, so something is being handled differently for these two files that are created at the same time.

12 years 3 weeks ago #197496 by NickC4555
Is there any chance of asking the developers what the difference is between the main image and thumbnail creation, please? If they both worked the same way as the thumbnails, it would solve the problem.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn