Best way to keep track of security issues in CB?

11 years 10 months ago #205046 by erichf
I realize that's its generally a good idea to keep CB up-to-date with the latest release but one of my customers has a highly customized version of CB which requires a lot of manual patching whenever we update their site. As a result, we don't like to update CB more often than necessary.

What's the best way to keep track of security related issues with CB so that we know which updates we must do and which we can skip? I haven't been able to find a page with security announcements or a mailing list to subscribe to.

Thanks

Erich

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 years 10 months ago #205047 by krileon
Pretty much every update is mandatory as they all often contain bug fixes. We've no security issues and haven't had security issues for a very long time, so none have been security releases. We can also only provide support if you're up to date. I recommend reviewing how you can change those customization's into plugins or implement them with CB Auto Actions.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

11 years 10 months ago #205058 by erichf
Thanks Kyle. The customer uses a pretty small subset of features so they're not as likely to run into bugs as others who really give CB a work out.

We are using Auto Actions for some of the customization which works really well. The customer just came back with a requested change and it only took a few minutes to tweak the auto-action to accomodate them.

I wasn't the coder for the site, but one of the changes that was made was to have the list view support up to 8 columns (the system only supports 4 by default). I didn't find any plug-in that provides this functionality and since it alters the core system functionality, I don't know if it's something that could even be done through a plug-in. It would certainly be a better solution if it could.

Thanks

Erich

11 years 10 months ago #205066 by krileon
It can be done with a plugin, but not CB Auto Actions. You'd need to create a new CB Plugin specific to the usage. You can extend the columns using the onBeforeDisplayUsersList trigger. It contains the following variables.

$row, $users, $columns, $allFields, $lists, $listid, $search, $option_itemid

You could simply extend the columns array to 6 instead of 4, or 10, or unlimited; whatever is needed.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn