[SOLVED} Using Group Jive for ACL and Permissions?

11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #214530 by cberry1971
I have searched the knowledge base and can't seem to find out how accomplish the following case:

My website is a sports event registration and results scoring site. We installed Community Builder + the AutoActions plugin. We assign user groups (radio button field) upon registration. We learned how to do that here (and with help from a earlier post):

www.joomlapolis.com/support/tutorials/107-use-cases/18237-assigning-usergroup-based-on-cb-field-value

Our two user groups are:

1. Athletes
2. Affiliates (gym owners)

Affiliates create events, and athletes register for them and compete in them.

Upon completion of events, Affiliates (thru "judges" below) input scores to display results.

I would like to do the following now:

Allow Affiliates to select certain registered members to judge events. These Judges would have access to the Affiliates' "Post Results" Article and could then Create, Edit, Update and Destroy Athlete results for a given event.

I am thinking Group Jive might be the way to accomplish this, but don't want to get too far down the wrong path.

Screen shot provides what Affiliate can currently see and what I would like them to be able to share with selected "Judges"

Case Example:

Affiliate A creates Event A
Affiliate B creates Event B

Athletes 1, 2, 3 compete in Event A
Athletes 4, 5, 6 compete in Event B

Affiliate A selects Athletes 7,8 (not competing) to "judge" and "post results". They should not have access to Event B nor should Athletes 1,2,3 have access to "post results" .... otherwise they could cheat! And cheating is bad!! :angry:

Similarly, Affiliate B should be able to select Athletes 9, 10 to judge Event B.

Your thoughts and direction are very much appreciated.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 years 6 months ago #214538 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Using Group Jive for ACL and Permissions?
Honestly this is an extremely specific request. If you insist on doing it with GJ it's -somewhat- possible to do this and what I mean by this is you can certainly create events as well as have users attend those events, but it doesn't have such detailed access permissions so any athlete could attend any event in any group the belong to.

I suggest checking Joomla.org extension directory to see if there is something that fits your needs more specifically. Your usergroups usage is already implemented and certainly would be or could be used in other extensions. Below is a list of event management extensions for Joomla.

extensions.joomla.org/extensions/calendars-a-events/events/events-management

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

11 years 6 months ago #214539 by cberry1971
Replied by cberry1971 on topic Re: Using Group Jive for ACL and Permissions?
Ok. So I already use ohanah for quite some time for event creation, registration. I have created my own plugin for results posting. I guess what I am looking for is a permission / invite capability.

Similar application would be Teacher / Student

Students can only see their grades.

Teachers (who dont want users logging under their ID) grant "grading" access to their teacher's assistants... to help with the grading.

Any ideas would be really helpful.

11 years 6 months ago #214598 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Using Group Jive for ACL and Permissions?
If you already designed a custom solution for display then you'll probably need to extend it to have permissions. Aside from that I don't know what to tell you. GJ it self is not ACL; you already have the ACL configured and functional. I've no experience with ohanah, sorry.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.814 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn