CB Paid Subscriptions - donations from guests

2 months 2 weeks ago #337170 by dg1
Hi,

I want to use the "CB Paid Subscriptions" component to manage donations. It's perfect for this if we only include registered users. :-)
A large number of people visiting our website never create an account, even though they visit our websites very often and regularly.
I would like to avoid a situation in which they would be obliged to register on the website just to make a donation.
My question is quite obvious: in the current form of "CB Paid Subscriptions", is it possible for guests to make a donation?
If so, I will be ashamed because I didn't figure out how to configure it myself. :-(
If not, treat this entry as a proposal to create such a functionality.

Regards,

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2 months 2 weeks ago #337171 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic CB Paid Subscriptions - donations from guests
CB Paid Subscriptions is a subscription management plugin first. The donation and merchandise options are "extra's". It's entirely designed with the requirement of having a user account. So the entire payment flow would need to be completely rewritten to support guest payments.

At this time there are no plans to do this for CB Paid Subscriptions, but that could change in future releases after CB 3.x as we'd like to make a generalized payments API that all our plugins can use and that would support guest payments.

Typically for guest donations it's best to just use donation inserts. Either one from PayPal or Stripe should be sufficient. For Stripe these are called Payment Links and the documentation can be found below and would be my recommended approach.

stripe.com/docs/payment-links

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

2 months 2 weeks ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #337180 by dg1
I wanted a unified approach to both types of users.
I am currently using the payment link method. :-)
I realize that adding such functionality is more than just cosmetic.
I regret it even more because I have already managed to prepare support for the payment gateway, which is not included in your set.
As our statistics show, donations from guests exceed donations from registered users, I will probably abandon this project and stick to the previously mentioned payment links.

Thanks for the info and best regards,

2 months 2 weeks ago #337181 by krileon
If you use Stripe Checkout the payment flow is exactly the same. Payment Links are just Stripe Checkout. Typically there's no reason to involve the site in donations that don't accept user flow in any way and using donation buttons is generally the best approach when collecting payments from unregistered users regardless of the platform.

One thing you can do is have Payment Links usage for unregistered users. Then CBSubs donation plan for registered users. You could then provide some sort of bonus to registered users for donating (e.g. badge to display on their profile, discount on next purchase, etc..).

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

2 months 2 weeks ago #337183 by dg1
As I mentioned, I wanted a unified approach to simplify and automate the creation of statistics, donation and donor lists.
As an added benefit, I wanted to be able to dynamically add a "special" activity in CB Activity with donation information.
This immediate thank you message creates a positive message and encourages others to join in.
Solutions using "CB Auto Actions" worked great here, and creating your own templates for specific activities was just on point ("CB Auto Actions" ver. 6.0).
I have already used the extra emblem. I displayed it on the donor's avatar for a certain period of time. However, manual control of this process is out of the question.
Using "CB Paid Subscriptions" would greatly simplify this and expand the possibilities.

Currently, as part of testing, I include donations from guests into the account of a user created especially for this purpose, and the donation table is completed by importing a *.csv file.
This is a simplification, but so far it works.
Please note: during import, I do not have the option to specify the donation amount.

I have something to think about. I promised myself a lot and put a lot of time into testing and preparing this concept.
I have two options: abandon the idea until you manage to expand "CB Paid Subscriptions" or use a two-track method of collecting donations.
Users would then be able to use "CB Paid Subscriptions" and guest payments made via payment links would be imported.

We don't sell anything on the website. We actively protect endangered species. The focus of our attention is the peregrine falcon (falco peregrinus). We are a registered public benefit organization (non-profit).
The website disseminates knowledge about the peregrine falcon and gathers enthusiasts of this species. We provide online views of over twenty nests of wild pairs of falcons.
We support it only through donations. Hence my interest in a comprehensive solution to the topic and the use of "CB Paid Subscriptions" for this purpose.

Thanks and best regards,

PS. I use the payment service "Przelewy24" and PayPal.

2 months 2 weeks ago #337184 by krileon
The only other solution I can suggest then at this point is to setup webhooks to be sent to an auto action. Effectively you'd use a Stripe Payment Link, payment would go through, Stripe would send a webhook to your auto action, you'd then process the webhook in your auto action to insert activity, add data to the database, etc.. whatever you liked really. This works well with Stripe because you can have multiple webhook URLs. PayPal it maybe possible if you can specify a IPN URL for the donation button. I've no clue when it comes to Przelewy24 though, but in theory if it also supports IPN URL per donation button could also work. This would at least automate your current manual processes.

Aside from that I don't have any further suggestions. We're not about to rewrite CBSubs payment flow anytime soon, sorry. You may want to look into other Joomla extensions that handle public donations, but I'm guessing most just render donation buttons.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.313 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn