What happens to custom CB fields when using FB?

13 years 10 months ago #135666 by olsparents
I've just installed and configured the Facebook integration module, and it seems to be working fine. Thanks for making this facility available.

Maybe this is an obvious question, but what is supposed to happen with custom CB fields. When a new user registers on CB, I have it configured to ask for additional information (name/phone/email for a 2nd parent). See olsparents.com/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=registers&Itemid=68 for the current (non-FB) registration page.

But how can I gather this additional information for users of the FB interface, who sign in with their FB username? And what happens to the approval stage with the CB registration - it looks like the FB users are automatically approved, without any administrator involvement.

Thanks in advance

Shane

Post edited by: olsparents, at: 2010/06/14 23:29

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 10 months ago #135804 by krileon

But how can I gather this additional information for users of the FB interface, who sign in with their FB username?

You can't, they'll need to update those fields via Profile Edit.

And what happens to the approval stage with the CB registration - it looks like the FB users are automatically approved, without any administrator involvement.

Correct, it's single sign-on and bypasses approval and confirmation processes. Wouldn't make sense otherwise and more then likely would lose more users then would gain.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 10 months ago #135902 by leeleefallen
Replied by leeleefallen on topic Re:What happens to custom CB fields when using FB?
Will there ever be an update that will allow the act of gathering the information that is already in there facebook profile to automatically be inputted into there profile information

13 years 10 months ago #135903 by olsparents
krileon wrote:

But how can I gather this additional information for users of the FB interface, who sign in with their FB username?

You can't, they'll need to update those fields via Profile Edit.

And what happens to the approval stage with the CB registration - it looks like the FB users are automatically approved, without any administrator involvement.

Correct, it's single sign-on and bypasses approval and confirmation processes. Wouldn't make sense otherwise and more then likely would lose more users then would gain.

Thanks for the clarifications, Kyle. This certainly didn't jump out at me from the documentation. Did I miss this issue in the use cases? If not, perhaps you would consider clarifying this in the use cases for future releases?

I'm not so sure that I agree with you that NOT bypassing the approval processes wouldn't make sense. In our particular case, the protected content on the site isn't hugely sensitive, so I can live with FB users getting immediate access. If my content was more sensitive, I would be very reluctant to use the FB integration - which would be a shame, as it is a great facility. Again, maybe finer control over these features could be considered for future releases?

Best regards

Shane

13 years 10 months ago #136032 by krileon
leeleefallen wrote:

Will there ever be an update that will allow the act of gathering the information that is already in there facebook profile to automatically be inputted into there profile information

No, that goes too deep into privacy controls and we prefer to distance our self from Facebooks recurring privacy concerns. We wish not to cross such a boundary and simply allow easy single sign-on. What information users provide to your site for themselves is up to them, sorry.

Thanks for the clarifications, Kyle. This certainly didn't jump out at me from the documentation. Did I miss this issue in the use cases? If not, perhaps you would consider clarifying this in the use cases for future releases?

No this is not within the documentation so you did not miss anything. The documentation is primarily an installation guide.

In our particular case, the protected content on the site isn't hugely sensitive, so I can live with FB users getting immediate access. If my content was more sensitive, I would be very reluctant to use the FB integration - which would be a shame, as it is a great facility. Again, maybe finer control over these features could be considered for future releases?

Currently there are no plans to offer such finer controls. We had discussed this internally and determined the integration would be rather pointless without the single sign-on process. The users information is considered trusted coming from a reputable source, there's no reason to need to question the registration. You are welcome to edit the source and make the change however if you see fit otherwise.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 9 months ago #137779 by jase700
Same question here. I'd like users to be able to register via FB, then be redirected to the current registration form to enter the additional information I currently require. Is that possible or in the roadmap?

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn