Joomla 1.5 beta released - CB 1.0.2 pre-announcement

17 years 5 months ago #25281 by beat
Ok, Community Builder 1.0.2 is released and available for public download (see www.joomlapolis.com homepage for details).

Although no exploits are known, we rate this release as a high-level security release, as it addresses number of potential vulnerabilities, and recommend upgrading soon.

---
Hi Repute,
Sorry was to short notice, when we saw message this evening, we were already packing release. Thanks for proposing. You are of course welcome to join testteam for the upcoming features-releases. Sending you PM shortly. :)

Many thanks to all active testers, and to all Joomlapolitans for your patience.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

Please Log in to join the conversation.

16 years 9 months ago #41047 by pvh
Hi,

After all the hardwork you guys put in, I was under the impression that CB 1.0.2 would run in native mode on Joomla 1.5. But I just discovered that it is still a legacy product.

Any further info on that?

I can only find info about this on your website from the year 2006 and we are already in 2007 and the Joomla Beta 2 is already a long way on the way.

Rgrds,
Pieter

16 years 9 months ago #41054 by beat
pvh wrote:

Hi,

After all the hardwork you guys put in, I was under the impression that CB 1.0.2 would run in native mode on Joomla 1.5. But I just discovered that it is still a legacy product.

Any further info on that?

Rgrds,
Pieter

Ok a few answers to this: :)

- Joomla 1.5 is still a moving target regarding non-legacy support (and even in legacy mode !). E.g. Joomla 1.5 beta 2 has become incompatible with CB 1.0.2, which was adapted to Joomla 1.5 beta 1, as that one became non-compatible to CB 1.0.1. Same happened again in 1.5 svn, and will probably happen again until 1.5 RC is out. ;)

- Running Legacy mode is not a problem for Joomla 1.5, and doesn't affect site performance more than 10-15%, according to the benchmarks . You can win much more by applying database optimizations, and actually if you care for speed, you are better of sticking to joomla 1.0.x series for now :)

- CB is not a "legacy product", it's very much alive and developments are going full speed.

- There are several issues which need to get solved in Joomla before CB can run on Joomla 1.5 with legacy turned off. We can't give a date or release number for this, as it's not depending on us. What's sure is that the upcoming CB version will still need legacy mode being on, but as said it's not limiting your website, so it's not a problem and not an advantage or disadvantage either. Or do you see any ?

- We believe that most websites will stay in joomla 1.0 and not move to joomla 1.5 before 1.6 or 1.7, since joomla 1.5 doesn't bring significant new features, and its stability and security needs to mature first for quite some time. So, as we care for backwards compatibility and our users community, we will keep Joomla 1.0 and Mambo 4.5 compatibility for quite some time. This doesn't exclude Joomla 1.5 or Mambo 4.6 and 4.7 support, once those are released, as we work on compatibility tests with both core teams.

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

16 years 9 months ago #41061 by pvh
Thanks for your info.
With "legacy" product I did mean a Legacy product but to be used in Joomla 1.5 in Legacy mode. This was unclear and my bad.

The thing is that I came on board at Joomla with 1.5 being beta tested and never used 1.0.x before. I do not intend to go back to 1.0.x because I am getting my way around in the new framework and enjoy myself. But I do like the facilities of CB; a dilemma ;)
If I was to use CB in Legacy mode on my 1.5 template, what would happen when CB finally goes native 1.5? I mean by that time I could have a full productional website. Will there be a migration tool for CB?

Rgrds,
Pieter

16 years 9 months ago #41062 by beat
Legacy mode doesn't mean Jooml1 1.5 mode is off :)

Legacy mode allows you to have both worlds cohabiting nicely, it doesn't remove anything from Joomla 1.5 non-legacy usage :)

When CB will work also in non-legacy mode, you will not need any conversion or updating tool. It will be a normal smooth update as any other CB update :)

As a matter of fact, you should not notice any difference with legacy mode on or off. B)

EDIT: added:

CB uses Joomla 1.5 native database for users, and adapts to joomla 1.5 features when running on top of joomla 1.5, so it's not 100% legacy already ;)

Post edited by: beat, at: 2007/07/16 19:50

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn