Error

Please login first

[#2548] Username is assigned first + last instead of email

12 years 11 months ago #164894 by cvoogt
I don't have Name displayed. I do have First Name and last Name displayed. I also do not have Username displayed, but still it is using "First + Last Name" as the username instead of the email address. Seems to me that for me, at least, it is not working as it's supposed to.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 11 months ago #164897 by apdt
I think this should be explained in the documentation as the logic is confusing. In understand how it works now (thanks!) but I don't understand why CB doesn't just assigned email (which is somewhat unique) as username regardless of visibility of the any of the names field.

12 years 11 months ago #164903 by krileon

cvoogt wrote: I don't have Name displayed. I do have First Name and last Name displayed. I also do not have Username displayed, but still it is using "First + Last Name" as the username instead of the email address. Seems to me that for me, at least, it is not working as it's supposed to.

As explained it does not matter WHAT name fields you use; it is name fields in general. You have to hide ALL name fields (first, middle, last, and name) from registration as well as the username field for username to assume email. However, using incubator project CB Fields you can avoid this all together and set the username to anything you like before or after registration process.

I've created a feature ticket for this to be reviewed for later release of CB as completely agree with you that Email should replace Username even if Name is present. For time being CB Fields can change the username to whatever you like until this could be addressed within CB itself.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/2548

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #164907 by cvoogt
I must have missed that it was name fields in general .. I had understood it was just the "name" field.

I will try the incubator field. Thing is, it is pretty standard to display first & last name fields on a registration form ... it's usually not optional. So it makes sense to review that at some point.

12 years 11 months ago #164909 by cvoogt
OK. Tried the CB Fields incubator plugin, but I can't really test it out because I still cannot complete the registration. The CB Field plugin isn't triggered until AFTER registration (onAfterUserRegistration), so it doesn't help solve the problem of needing to show first & last name fields but using the email address as the username. I tried 'onBeforeUserRegistration' as well.

It looks like my only options are to hide the first & last name fields, or convince my customer to just use usernames and passwords for the login form. I don't see how else to use the email-as-a-username functionality.

Any thoughts?

12 years 11 months ago #164915 by krileon

OK. Tried the CB Fields incubator plugin, but I can't really test it out because I still cannot complete the registration. The CB Field plugin isn't triggered until AFTER registration (onAfterUserRegistration), so it doesn't help solve the problem of needing to show first & last name fields but using the email address as the username. I tried 'onBeforeUserRegistration' as well.

On before should function as CB Fields alters the user object from reference. At any rate in most cases yes the change is done after registration. Don't understand how this is preventing users from registering however as they'll be given first+last name as username then it will immediately fix after registration.

It looks like my only options are to hide the first & last name fields, or convince my customer to just use usernames and passwords for the login form. I don't see how else to use the email-as-a-username functionality.

Username does not have to be username; you could change it to surname, nickname, alias, etc.. simply by adjusting language strings or changing the field title from field management. That could make it more attractive to your client. Aside from this not much more to suggest until we've addressed the issue within CB, which I can not provide a timeframe for.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn