[SOLVED] Access to menu items suddenly denied

7 years 7 months ago #286356 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Access to menu items suddenly denied
Ok, it sounds like you have your site restricted to require a subscription, but you have no subscriptions available for upgrade or aren't accessible based off their access parameters. Within CBSubs > Settings > Global set "Allow Free Registered Users (without subscriptions)" to "Yes" and see if issue persists. If it does please PM backend super administrator login credentials as well as frontend login credentials to duplicate your issue and will take a look.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

7 years 7 months ago #286375 by quantumgravity
Replied by quantumgravity on topic Access to menu items suddenly denied
Yes, that was setting #3 in my previous post.

OK, I'll PM you credentials. Thanks a lot for the help.

7 years 7 months ago #286417 by krileon
Have reviewed your install. As suggested earlier you needed to check your By Menu protection. You are protecting CBs login, registration, etc.. pages with a subscription. You've caused an inaccessible loop. I've removed those menu protections in your plans and it's working fine now. Please be careful with which menu items or URLs you protect.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

7 years 7 months ago #286428 by quantumgravity
For those of you scoring at home, and possibly to help future forum users (e.g., the three-years-from-now me), here is what happened.

The plan that I gave Kyle to log in had no menu restrictions of any kind. The same was true of content and extension restrictions. Also, all the settings that should allow access to content mentioned earlier in this thread were set to be completely permissive. Finally, the CBSubsContent plugin was disabled. Kyle’s plan was active, expiring next March.

The problem was with the other plans. All of them properly allowed access to the menu items I set up for the member profile and for user login. But at the bottom of the list of menu item restriction possibilities under CBSubs>Plan>Integrations>Content>By Menu, there is a list of the seven enabled items of the Community Builder menu. Those were checked. I have no idea why, but I didn’t see them … yet at some point I or someone else must have affirmatively checked them.

Still, you could logically believe that with all the other settings set as they were, and with the CB menu items unrestricted in Kyle's plan, and with the CBSubsContent plugin disabled, that wouldn’t matter. And until last week, everyone could indeed log in. I can’t explain how they could, but they could.

At this point, it might help to give myself or someone else a reminder about how CBSubs Content protection works. To me, it's not intuitively obvious when you first see it. If Plan A restricts access to absolutely no menu items, then members with an active plan can see all menu items. Even if Plan B restricts access to menu item #27 without an active Plan B, Plan A members with an active plan can still see Menu Item #27. But once Plan A expires and the grace period ends, Plan A subscribers can no longer view menu item #27. They can view menu item #26 (if no other plan restricts it) for as long as they are a registered user, but they can’t view #27. In this way, other plans control what Plan A members can see once Plan A has expired.

What I still don’t understand is how an Active Plan A is restricted from seeing menu item #27, if you want item #27 to be restricted to, say, a more premium active plan. In my tests, Plan A (and any other active plan) has access to all menu items, regardless of the menu restrictions of other plans, so long as it is active. In that case, the menu restrictions for any one plan restricts access to those menu items for all inactive plans, but affects no active plans.

But that isn’t true of the Community Builder menu items. Even if Plan A is active and unrestricted, including Community Builder menu items, and if the menu items labeled communitybuilder/Login or communitybuilder/Profile View are checked as being restricted in any other plan, it wipes out Plan A’s ability to log in to the website at all. But if they have checked "Remember me" in an earlier login and have an active cookie on their device identifying them as being logged in, there is no restriction when they visit again.

Kyle, please grade that discussion and let me know what’s wrong. I'm especially interested in the truth or fiction of the paragraph in blue above.

Note to Nick:

For the next iteration of CBSubs documentation, please note Section 7.5.6.3 Plans icon area - Integrations Tab - Content sub-tab, currently on Page 340. It’s probably already on your to-change list. All the references to sections, authoring, editing and publishing are no longer valid, possibly because they had to be removed for Joomla 3.

7 years 7 months ago #286454 by krileon
To understand how the protection works i'll use a hypothetical Plan A and Plan B. Plan A protects Menu A and Plan B does not. I am actively subscribed to Plan B. This means I've no access to Menu A since my plan does not protect it and thus can not grant me access to it. Now lets assume Menu A is CBs login page. When I attempt to login, I'm authenticated fine, and just before the login process CBSubs detects I don't have access to this page so it rejects it and blocks the login since well I have no access to it. This basically creates an impossible loop of never being able to login.

All protections work like the above. So lets say a field is protected by Plan A as well. Well in that situation being subscribed to Plan B I can not use that field. This same principle will apply to module access, by url part protection, Joomla content access, etc..

In your case all, but 1, were restricting the exact same menu items. This means they all, except that 1, had access just fine. This is why it seamed like Plan A could ignore say Plan Bs protection, because they protected the same things.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--
The following user(s) said Thank You: quantumgravity

7 years 7 months ago #286473 by quantumgravity
Okay.

Great explanation, and I'd love it if it worked that way. And since it must work that way for most subscribers, this is very possibly a secondary case of user error.

But here's the problem/question. The plan I assigned to you for the test site has no menu (or category, extension, module, URL) restrictions at all. Yet as you noted, the other nine plans have identical restrictions to everything involving a lawyer. Based on your description, the plan you have should allow access to nothing (involving a lawyer) at all. The protections of the other plans should prevent it. But it allows access to everything, which is why I wrote the last post the way I did.

If that logic is correct and if you have time, please log in again with your still-valid credentials. In the front end after logging in, you shouldn't be able to see anything, for example, under Library>Briefs>Any Category. That's because those menu items are listed as restricted by the other nine plans. But you can see all of them.

Soooo ... NOW what did I do? :pinch:

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.944 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn