Skip to Content Skip to Menu

CBSubs - Paying for past years?

• itsjeff
  • itsjeff
7 years 5 months ago #288389 by itsjeff
CBSubs - Paying for past years? was created by itsjeff
Hello, I have a bit of a conundrum that I'm looking to address. I'm admittedly new to CBSubs so I don't know how historical data is tracked, if this is possible.

I've been working on a site where members can eventually become lifetime members, after 15 years of dues-paying membership. The organization is forgiving if there is a lapse in membership, as long as those years are paid retro-actively. I'll give an example:

John Smith joined in 2009. He paid each year from 2009 to 2013, but then expired. In 2016, he renewed and paid again. The organization will allow him to pay for 2014 and 2015 despite it being 2016.

How would we accept/collect payment and add these yearly subscriptions to history?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
7 years 5 months ago #288411 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic CBSubs - Paying for past years?
You can filter within CBSubs > Payments to see if a specific user has paid 15 times for a plan. You can also use CBSubs Fields to increment an integer field on each payment. This would allow you to keep track of how many times they've paid directly on their profile, can be filtered in CB > User Management, and can be filtered in a userlist. Additionally that field usage could be combined with CB Auto Actions and possibly automate the entire process (automatically give them lifetime plan once that field has incremented to 15). For CB Auto Actions automation you'd use the below with a CB Paid Subscriptions action.

Plan Active
Global
Triggers: onCPayUserStateChange
User: Automatic
Access: Everybody
Conditions
1: [var3] Equal To PLAN_ID_HERE
2: [var2] Equal To A
3. [cb_subcount] Greater Than or Equal To 15

Since it's a field though I suppose you could also just do this on login and only need to condition against the integer field (e.g. cb_subcount).

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: itsjeff

• itsjeff
  • itsjeff
7 years 5 months ago #288417 by itsjeff
Replied by itsjeff on topic CBSubs - Paying for past years?
Thank you for the excellent response - that's actually addressing what would have been my next question, auto-upgrading.

What I was meaning to ask here was, how would someone pay for a previous year's membership? To continue with my example, how would John Smith be able to pay for 2014 and 2015?

• krileon
  • krileon
7 years 5 months ago #288425 by krileon
To force them to pay for past years you need to set "Manual renewal extends expiration date as follows" to "Renewal extends expiration date (without gap or overlap)" under the Pricing tab of your plan. This means their renewal starts when they last expired causing them to pay for skipped years, but honestly it likely won't go over well with your users. With the increment field it won't matter as it only will count active renewals so if they skip a year they simply don't increment for that year.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: itsjeff

• itsjeff
  • itsjeff
7 years 5 months ago #288436 by itsjeff
Replied by itsjeff on topic CBSubs - Paying for past years?

krileon wrote: To force them to pay for past years you need to set "Manual renewal extends expiration date as follows" to "Renewal extends expiration date (without gap or overlap)" under the Pricing tab of your plan. This means their renewal starts when they last expired causing them to pay for skipped years, but honestly it likely won't go over well with your users. With the increment field it won't matter as it only will count active renewals so if they skip a year they simply don't increment for that year.

Thanks for your suggestion. I realize it's a weird setup, but that's how it operates. They want to count past years and accept payment for them to "catch up" rather than not counting a year if they weren't an active member. That may work, as long as the users understand it must be continuous, but they may allow both and obviously the config can only be one way or the other.

I'll explain that these are the options and we can't have it both ways. Is there a way to manually add a payment & past year as an admin? Could we have members pay offline/by phone and add the entry in the back end?

• krileon
  • krileon
7 years 5 months ago #288449 by krileon

I'll explain that these are the options and we can't have it both ways. Is there a way to manually add a payment & past year as an admin?

Not unless you go through the payment process on frontend on their behalf to generate a basket then pay that basket in backend but that'll be treated as just a regular renewal.

Could we have members pay offline/by phone and add the entry in the back end?

Yes, that's the purpose of the offline payment gateway. Either you or them will still need to generate the basket on frontend though.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon