[SOLVED] User Registration / Login

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #177597 by thomas777
[SOLVED] User Registration / Login was created by thomas777
Hi

I have to explain a little bit for the question to make sense.

I am in the process of building about 5 Joomla 1.7 websites. All sites are sharing the same database. All the tables that relate to users of each site are linked together using views.

This means that all 5 sites all share the same user tables, to be exact the tables in the database are (_users , _session , _usergroups , _user_profiles , _user_usergroup_map)

This has been working great. I create an account on one site and I automatically have an account on all 4 other sites, permissions carry over and all appears functional so far.

Well my question relates to when I went to install community builder for the first time today. It had me install CB Login modual. I am not sure if this will work. It appears to work right now.
But don't know how stable my sites would be now, or later as users create accounts and start using the different sites. After installing CB I create accounts on other of the 5 sites and can then go to the CB site and can login and if I create an account on the CB site using the CB Login modual it appears to be good.

I intend for this site to get large so I need to anticipate any potential problems. Can someone there who understands the database and user account and create please consider this carefully.

I would greatly appreciate any feed back.

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 7 months ago #177629 by thomas777
Replied by thomas777 on topic Re: User Registration / Login
A follow on question that may also make the original more clear.

Would I need to use the CB Login module on all 5 sites that share the same user tables. I am not sure if the CB Login is used to add details to CB specific tables when a user registers that may be needed.

This needs to work so it does not matter which site that the user creates the account on, that CB will work perfectly regardless.

Thanks for you assistance.

12 years 7 months ago #177674 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: User Registration / Login

thomas777 wrote: Hi

I have to explain a little bit for the question to make sense.

I am in the process of building about 5 Joomla 1.7 websites. All sites are sharing the same database. All the tables that relate to users of each site are linked together using views.

This means that all 5 sites all share the same user tables, to be exact the tables in the database are (_users , _session , _usergroups , _user_profiles , _user_usergroup_map)

This has been working great. I create an account on one site and I automatically have an account on all 4 other sites, permissions carry over and all appears functional so far.

Well my question relates to when I went to install community builder for the first time today. It had me install CB Login modual. I am not sure if this will work. It appears to work right now.
But don't know how stable my sites would be now, or later as users create accounts and start using the different sites. After installing CB I create accounts on other of the 5 sites and can then go to the CB site and can login and if I create an account on the CB site using the CB Login modual it appears to be good.

I intend for this site to get large so I need to anticipate any potential problems. Can someone there who understands the database and user account and create please consider this carefully.

I would greatly appreciate any feed back.

Thanks

Don't see why there would be a problem. They're all configured to use the same database so there shouldn't be any issue.

Would I need to use the CB Login module on all 5 sites that share the same user tables. I am not sure if the CB Login is used to add details to CB specific tables when a user registers that may be needed.

Yes.

This needs to work so it does not matter which site that the user creates the account on, that CB will work perfectly regardless.

It will assuming all 5 sites use CBs login/registration processes.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #177682 by thomas777
Thanks for the reply, I feel much more confident now. At this point all I need to do is install the CB Login Modual on the other sites.

Additionally a separate question but similar... If there is a chance (and there is a remote one) that I would like to have some of the community features viewable on 1 or more of the other sites as well. Would I need to install the full CB now or later if I decide to use some features on the other sites, and if I do would I need to connect the tables via views as well, if so which tables.
only one site is for the community interaction, if this would be wanted it would be to have a component here or there in different places but not the full feature set.

Thanks

12 years 7 months ago #177688 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: User Registration / Login

Another question, would I need to install the CB full component on the other 4 sites and link via views the CB tables. At this point I only intend to use the community on one of the sites.

Yes, all 5 sites need CB installed or you'll get errors as they're sharing a database and technically CB is installed on all of them but on the other 4 the files wouldn't exist.

Additionally a separate question but similar... If there is a chance (and there is) that I would like to have some of the community features viewable on 1 or more of the other sites as well. Would I need to install the full CB now or later on the other sites, and if I do would I need to connect the tables via views as well.

Really no idea how you'd separate the 5 sites.. you're using the exact same database for all 5 so all their data whether articles, users, etc.. is shared. You need some sort of plugin that'd check what URL they're at, parse it, get the name, store that to a field in CB and you could then use CB Conditional to conditional display profile fields/tabs based off that field giving you a unique profile on each site.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #177693 by thomas777
Thanks

I am not really trying to make them separate like 5 separate community builders. They can be the same in that sense, same users, etc... There is just a chance that I would like some things like whos online to show up also on the other sites, not just the community site, or some other aspect.

This being the case, so far I need to install CB with the CB Login Modual on the other 4 sites already, which is simple enough. Would it be best for based on the above, to link any or all of the CB tables with views like the user tables of Joomla.

Thanks for you help. This should be it :)

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn