Away for a while, Facebook & Twitter questions

12 years 6 months ago #180665 by jakobe75
I have been away from posting problems in the forums for one main reason.

I havent had any major problems with CB or CBsubs!
Our site has been busy and stable for almost a year now.

Anywho.....Im back because its time to upgrade the tech on our site...so I want some advice.

We need Twitter and Facebook integrations...not just being able to use the same user/pass creds to login but the ability to post and display walls and tweets.

I already have a Twitter tab that works decent to display Tweets, but you cannot Tweet from it.

My main objective is to achieve something like this:

- users can login using their credentials from FB or Twitter
- users can display tweets on a tab and also tweets from their profile
- users can display content on a tab from Facebook and also post to Facebook.
(not exactly sure what content we want to let them display yet)

so friends....have you guys got any good leads on premade plugins and components?

We are already using an entire suite from Axxis.gr the developers of SuperActivity.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #180704 by krileon
CB Connect offers twitter fields the same way Facebook and Google fields are offered. One of those twitter fields is the new "tweet box" which allows you users to make tweets directly from your site. There is no tweet feed display though as that's just an RSS link so any RSS reader can display it. Facebook fields offer a comment field which allows your users to make wall posts directly from their profiles. The best advice I can give is to simply try it out (you're a professional subscriber so you've access to all incubator projects) on a test install and see if it fits your needs.

CB Connect of course allows sign on using your Google Friend Connect (can't be used on HTTPS), Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn (requires HTTPS) credentials.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 6 months ago #180712 by jakobe75
Thanks,
I am experimenting with some options now, nothing satisfactory yet...some plugins let you tweet and dont disply tweets, and then some display tweets but dont let you tweet.

The Facebook integration is even more confusing...I want users to be able to pull IN content from Facebook as well and display it to their visitors.

as its nearly impossible to tear our clients away from Facebook and get them to recreate their image galleries over here...and why should they do the work twice anyways.

I havent found anything that does this easily yet.

We have been successfully using All Article Announce to post to twit and FB, but I dont think they offer any solution for CB.

Thanks for the tips.

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #180723 by krileon

I am experimenting with some options now, nothing satisfactory yet...some plugins let you tweet and dont disply tweets, and then some display tweets but dont let you tweet.

Twitter doesn't have @Anywhere API to display a feed of tweets. Suppose it could be done with jQuery and an AJAX call, but not implementing it without official API from twitter, sorry.

The Facebook integration is even more confusing...I want users to be able to pull IN content from Facebook as well and display it to their visitors.

CB Connect will allow you to map Facebook data to CB fields on new registrations through Facebook.

as its nearly impossible to tear our clients away from Facebook and get them to recreate their image galleries over here...and why should they do the work twice anyways.

CB Connect doesn't pull their images except for profile picture, but it certainly can prepare the Facebook API to allow you to do so in your own plugin. Simply adjust the permissions as seen in CB Connect configuration for Facebook and you can request access to whatever you want.

I havent found anything that does this easily yet.

Then develop it and give back to the community. ;) All code suggestions are welcome (in the form of patches for existing projects).

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 6 months ago #180729 by jakobe75
hmmm... I like the sound of being able to map to custom cb fields.

Our registration process is quite complex and not all profile types are free either, so I am reluctant to let folks just connect willy nilly using their Twit and FB creds. as last time I checked into FB Connect it wasnt playing nicely with CBsubs.

I need to be able to gather certain info from the registration form in order to sort the users into the proper lists and display their profiles on other areas of the site.

Usually this is done at the time of account creation. I suppose it could be reworked to be done at leisure by the user after they create a fb connected account, but I fear there will be a huge gap in missing data fields unless I force them to do it at the time of registration.

I do already have a cb-plugin that we were using for a bit that allows users to display their Twitter feed on a tab. It seems to work pretty good.

we have several thousand active members on our community already and I think it would be safe to say 90% are on Facebook.

I want to give the existing users integration options but I dont want them to have to create new accounts. Its impossible to get these people to do anything in a hurry.

I'll play around with it.

I was really just hoping for a couple plug and play plugins...lol.

12 years 6 months ago #180736 by krileon

Our registration process is quite complex and not all profile types are free either, so I am reluctant to let folks just connect willy nilly using their Twit and FB creds. as last time I checked into FB Connect it wasnt playing nicely with CBsubs.

Please do not confuse FB Connect (FBC) with CB Connect as it's a chopped down version that only provides login/registration (no field mapping, etc..). Helps cut down on confusing other users reading the thread. ;)

CB Connect works perfectly fine with CBSubs. Of course plans shown at registration will have no affect as there is no registration for those users, it's 1 click login. If your site requires a subscription to login then they'd be present with a page to select a plan. This is all seen and tested as working on our CBSubs demo site.

I need to be able to gather certain info from the registration form in order to sort the users into the proper lists and display their profiles on other areas of the site.

CB Connect can only map what the connect site gives. For example Twitter doesn't give the same information that Facebook does and Google Friend Connect gives nearly nothing but name and profile picture.

Usually this is done at the time of account creation. I suppose it could be reworked to be done at leisure by the user after they create a fb connected account, but I fear there will be a huge gap in missing data fields unless I force them to do it at the time of registration.

CB Connect lets you specify a login and registration redirect URL. So for example after registration you could send them to profile edit.

I want to give the existing users integration options but I dont want them to have to create new accounts. Its impossible to get these people to do anything in a hurry.

If users login with an existing account they will see a "Link" button allowing them to link the two accounts together.

Please keep in mind field mapping only happens for new registrations through the connect sites. Subsequent logins or using the "Link" feature will not map their fields.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn