Away for a while, Facebook & Twitter questions

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #180746 by jakobe75
I'm glad you explained it a bit more, I probably cannot make use of it.

I would be streamlining the registration process to get them in the door faster but then bogging down with the redirected force edit.

1. facebook login/link authorization agreement
2. plans selection page
3. payment process
4. redirect to profile edit.

right now, the users choose a plan, fill out one form submit, pay then they are redirected back to their profile.

I fear the CB Connect method may be too complicated, I'd like to keep it all on one form, one step.

The users already have a problem figuring out the editing system using the tabs. Most dont know they can edit multiple fields before hitting "update"...so they go back and forth back and forth.

Now I would have them cycling through all the tabs to find and fill out fields on several different tabs. We have at least 50 fields of data that users can fill out with about 5 of them being absolutely required, but they arent always on the same tab.

So even though they get redirected to a profile edit, they would have to cycle through 15 tabs and search for the required fields. unfortunately they just wont do it like that, they will fill out a few fields and click update and be presented with a "required info missing" message and have to start searching. They will get frustrated and give up.

The users have to be forced to fill this info out at registration or it wont get done for all 100% of the users. We have had many user systems in the past and found that in order to get the data we need, it has to be forced out of them.

I supposed the required fields could be consolidated on one edit tab and then the rest of the data displays on its proper tab using a delimiter field.

I would have to rework all the plans, registration fields and permission levels on the fields.

I dont know, I dont know....
now that I see the amount of work it doesnt seem worth it now.

I want to reduce the registration flow as we are optimizing this for tablets, I need less poking. But I cant trust the users to supply the correct data on their own.

Thanks for discussing this, it helped alot.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 5 months ago #180811 by krileon
Sorry, not much more I can advise. CB Connect clearly won't be for everyone, but for what it does and how well it does it you'll find no other. It's likely you'd need to simply develop something custom and specific to your site. There's no fuss with CB Connect. A user clicks the button, logs in with their connect site, and they're done. Yes you'll be able to get some more data with field mapping, but only what the connect site will give and may or may not match how you have your fields setup.

I don't have a middle step for them to fill out forms directly after synchronization as that would defeat the purpose of the plugin, which can guarantee will never be implemented. That doesn't mean it can't be altered to have such a feature though.

It's just a trade off that has to be made. Using CB Connect opens your site to millions of users with a single click and to me that's invaluable as nearly everyone has a Facebook at the least these days.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 5 months ago #180825 by jakobe75
yes I like the idea of opening up to more users, but at the same time the site needs to keep these groups organized as we are letting retail general public use the site alongside B2b businesses.

the only way this concept works and kills two sites with one stone is the ability to turn on/off content based on subscription type.

cbsubs kills at this and works flawlessly, but it relies on users choosing the right plan and filling in the proper fields, If I could trust the users to fill in the fields it wouldnt be a problem.

We rely on the B2b profile to generate our income and to to populate the fields properly to appease the general public...without the b2b's setting up the profiles correctly, then they wont appear properly to the other users or even at all.

thanks for the insight on this, I'll set up a demo and play around with it.

I do have to perform a huge update to the site to strip out some old googlemapping modules that are not longer being used...its a huge project, perhaps after I finish with that I will start on this.

12 years 5 months ago #180840 by jakobe75
Looking at the demo of cbsubs using cbconnect now.

I like it, but still seems a bit fragmented.

This is what I did:

1. clicked "login with Facebook"

2. agree to the Facebook connect popup

3. redirected back to the site

4. Prompted to select my plan free/paid (I choose free)

5. Account is approved and a success message

6. click "login with Facebook" button again (there should be a prompt for this btw)

7. Enter in my facebook login creds in the cbconnect popup

8. Login is granted and lands on first page (which gave me an "not authorized to view this page error"

Thats alot of steps!
Although it went rather quickly.

I can assume that when a user logs into this for the first time I can have a page setup that says "HEY YOU..YES YOU FILL OUT THESE FIELDS OR DIE!"

CBsubs already has this built in so that they will see a one time landing page when logging in.

I can then use that opportunity to convince/force the user to fill out the fields on their profile.

yes..no does this sound like what you were describing to me?

also

after connecting from FB//CBC initially and landing on the "you need to select a plan page"

I can then have them choose a plan thats best for them (paid or free)....I am thinking of ways to cut down the amount of plan types we have anyways.

Q: does this plan selection landing page have the ability to display fields if a certain plan is choosen? Or only prices?

12 years 5 months ago #180891 by krileon

yes..no does this sound like what you were describing to me?

The above steps are accurate although I would configure a login redirect so you don't get stuck on a payment page you don't have access to (CB Connect sends you to your previous location by default). This assumes your site requires a subscription and doesn't allow free registrations.

Q: does this plan selection landing page have the ability to display fields if a certain plan is choosen? Or only prices?

CBSubs pages don't display fields, it's not CB Connect that's giving that page. It's simply CBSubs kicking in as the site is configured to require a subscription.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 5 months ago #181476 by jakobe75
Okay I think I am getting this into my skull now.

I have drawn a couple work flows on paper and shown them to the team.
below are my simplified workflows, (please bear with me and let me know if this is correct)

Workflow #1 (free)

1. user clicks the "connect with FB button"

2. facebook prompts a popup that the user agrees to

3. user is redirected back to site

4. message appears that says "plan required"

5. user selects a Free plan, fills in the required fields and clicks "register"

6. assuming all their data is correct the user is registered and a success message or redirected landing page is displayed.

7. user can continue on to edit their profile at this point.

work flow #2 (paid)

1. user click the "connect with FB button"

2. facebook prompts a popup that the user agrees to

3. user is redirected back to site

4. message appears that says "plan required"

5. user selects a PAID plan, fills in the required fields and clicks "register"

6. assuming all their data is correct the user is redirected to the paypal payment screen, from there they can interact with PayPal and pay.

7. assuming all goes well with the payment, the user is redirected back to the site as a registered user and a success message or landing page is displayed.

8. user can continue on to edit their profile at this point.

Questions:

1. I am still a little unclear on what fields are displayed during the step that the user must select a plan to continue, can I have custom fields displayed either using CB or cbsubs?

2. Will this process work only for NEW users? What about existing users who want to connect through Facebook?

This is important to us as the site currently uses a very heavily modified version of SOBI2 which I am converting over to CB profiles, It is very likely that there will be 4000 or so profiles coming over that will be imported via CB-juice or similar method.

Could these users then connect to their pre-made profiles using a CB connect method?

3. Does this support Twitter connecting in the same fashion?

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.232 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn