[SOLVED] How many record at one time can CBJuice2 handle.

12 years 3 months ago #189827 by krileon

I down sized the record size and successfully uploaded. I am thinking that the developer wants us to purchase additional services. As this is a limitation or it is now a bug as a result of version changes. I do not know!

It's a limitation of the server (whether local or not). Importing 10,000+ users for example is a lot of PHP/MYSQL calls at once and will pretty much crash any server. It's not a bug because there's nothing to fix; you need to ensure you do realistic imports. At any rate you need to post your issues on the CB Juice forums as again we're not CB Juices developer.

I strongly encourage that you work on your planned import features. For those of us who strong interest in marketing but weak or only apprentice / pro-consumer level of software integration, this feature would greatly expand your appeal. It might be a nice add-on; but I believe it should be core.

We've already plans to implement import/export features for CB 2.0.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #190081 by skoegler
thx

12 years 3 months ago #190088 by TC Topps
Hi!

I have what has become a one time or short term 50,000 record use for CB. So I know a little now about this process.

CBJuice2 can handle as much as your server will allow. I tried a 10,000 records and got to 4200 installed before a time out. That is not the real question or issue! It is managing the file upload errors. Right now there is a problem on firstname, lastname. middlename with in CBJuice2. (The Script is not a bad idea in itself. I like it for what it does.) It is probably suffering from all the version changes going on right now.

If there is a space in the name and not hyphenated as in a lastname; it will not import that record. You have to tag it and correct it in a new file to make it acceptable.

Also the turn OFF emails to user switch is not working. You will have to disable your email address in Joomla backend. I suggest not having any emails to upload. Its just to scary. As it will email everyone of your valuable members with a spam emailing. (Not Cool!) Also it generates an invalid.com email for any records with empty email fields. (What if you do not want email addresses?) So in other words if you have a newsletter plugin adapted with CB, you will now have 10,000 false emails as prescribed members to you newsletter. (That is not cool at all.) What if you want to do a search on members with email addresses? I tried turning off every switch imaginable including those in CBGoJive. But the CBJuice2 still loaded it all into my newsletter! (Bummer!)

I need rock solid accessible use of my files in a relational database. CB is really fine for a beginning development with larger flat files and it has features for linking with other tables. I like that feature a lot. What I love about CB is you can develop an integration of software packages from the Joomla side of your server as a pro-consumer. It will in effect accomplish everything that you might want. You have to find the time to piece it together and learn the programs.

But if you have 10,000 records. (Really if even 1000!) I would want to look into how a program such as Access or maybe OpenOffice.org would be able to update this file from the actual server side.

And certainly, I would want to not install invalid emails as a requirement. etc. This is a huge limitation and annoyance that the casual user will not enjoy. As a result you will need to look at other tools to implement your database. And then find a way to link it using other tools.

I hope this helps you skoegler!

Hopefully the CB team will come up with a very refined export-import feature that addresses these important needs. I know they are working on it now for this year some time.

Please any suggestions from more seasoned users of Joomla or CB.

Thanks!

12 years 3 months ago #190090 by skoegler
Thanks TC Tops !

I think you hit it... my list has plenty of space-separated names. Fortunately I should be able to resolve that and reimport... again.

One twist; I have Acymailing connected, and on the first import, the plugin inserts a bogus value for the name field (gets the email address correct). I found that importing a second time replaces the bogus name with the real name.

So this combination of spaces and bogus names at least gives me somewhere to go.

Thanks again. I'm certain that will take care of it... I'll report back with results.

12 years 3 months ago #190107 by wolverton
As krileon said, CBJ questions should be asked in the CBJuice forum.

Regarding email upon user addition... this is a Joomla issue... Nant has issued a workaround here

Regarding spaces in names...are your fields enclosed in quotes in the import file?

12 years 3 months ago #190472 by TC Topps
Thank you Wolvertine! What does Nant mean by his statement? In the work around. Does he mean comment OUT those two lines?

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn