Status of Bug #3038?

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #190772 by fribse2011
Status of Bug #3038? was created by fribse2011
Hi Guys

I was wondering what the end result of bug#3038 was?
forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/3038
I can't really figure out what decision there was made on the behaviour?
What was the 'right' way to do it, and is it in the RC?

My wish was:
Public
+-registered
..+-member
....+-group1
....|.+-moderator
....+-group2
....+-group3

The old implementation would only allow moderator to modify group1.
My hope was that some sort of setting or the like, would allow it to modify group2/3 also.

My solution so far, has been to have people in group2, also be part of 'member', but as of 1.8RC, that doesn't seem to work.

Best regards
Fribse

Frømandsklubben Nikon, www.nikondyk.dk
We're a volunteer driven diving club in Ishøj, Denmark.
Har du brug for en dykkerklub der rummer alle, så kom ned til os.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 2 months ago #190777 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Status of Bug #3038?
The implementation is in CB 1.8 RC, you're welcome to upgrade and test. I can't say for sure how your usergroup structure will work. We're moving away from usergroup usage (slowly being phased out) and going for Accesslevels and Permissions (direction of Joomla). Usergroups shouldn't be used to handle permissions/access.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #190791 by fribse2011
Replied by fribse2011 on topic Re: Status of Bug #3038?
As I mentioned at the bottom, it doesn't seem to work as before (in the beta code) in 1.8RC.
I would welcome the ability to use permissions instead.
But what permission should be set, or is that only doable in future versions?

Best regards
Fribse

12 years 2 months ago #190923 by krileon
We don't have a whole lot of permissions yet. You're welcome to check in CB > Configuration where you'll find the permissions button. As for the usergroups they should be working fine and have confirmed you can select child groups of Registered, etc.. perfectly fine. However, usergroups work in reverse. For example in the above Moderator under Group 1 has higher permissions then Group 1, but not of Group 2 as it's a child of Group 1 and not Group 2. It's very confusing. You should be using accesslevels (which 1.8 RC switched everything to accesslevels, only use usergroups for legacy support) which you can combine any groups you want.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 2 months ago #191197 by fribse2011
Replied by fribse2011 on topic Re: Status of Bug #3038?
Ok, I'm currently switching to use the ACL levels, as they are much better for this sort of work.
But how does that influence CB moderators? There's only mentioned groups there?

I can definetely say that the patch implemented previously is NOT working anymore.
Looking at the structure above, I have made sure that all users in groups below members, are ALSO part of members, and that worked previously, this does not work anymore.

Best regards
Fribse

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #191241 by krileon

Ok, I'm currently switching to use the ACL levels, as they are much better for this sort of work. But how does that influence CB moderators? There's only mentioned groups there?

Moderators is still usergroup based.

I can definetely say that the patch implemented previously is NOT working anymore.
Looking at the structure above, I have made sure that all users in groups below members, are ALSO part of members, and that worked previously, this does not work anymore.

Don't understand; seams working fine here. If you select "Moderator" usergroup to be the moderator group then "Moderator", "Administrator", and "Super Users" are all CB moderators.

- Group 1
- - Group 1a
- Group 2

In the above example "Group 1a" does not have privileges over Group 2, because it's not a child of Group 2. Usergroups work like a tree with multiple branches. 1 branch has no relation to another branch. Issues like the above is exactly why Accesslevels should be used (and we're working towards that with each release), but we can't complete such a usage implementation yet; that's for CB 2.0 where full accesslevel and permission usage will be used across the entire component rather then usergroups.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.381 seconds