Creation of nested groups

12 years 2 months ago #190876 by adop
Creation of nested groups was created by adop
I would like Registered users to be able to create nested groups within groups established by Admin.

In GJ>Config>Groups>General I have:
Create-> Enable
Create Access -> Administrator
Nested-> Enabled
Nested Access-> Registered
Approve->Disable

In group A I have:
Nested->Enable
Nested Access->Group users

The reason why Nested Access in Group A is set to Group Users instead of Registered, as I would expect from the default configuration above, is that no Registered option is available in the drop-down for Nested Access. So the closest approximation to what I want to achieve is Group Users.

Two questions:
1) Is the system correct to let me set Nested Access-> Registered in Config>Groups>General but give me a more restrictive option in Group A config? By the way Group>Default also does not show Registered as option available in Nested Access.

2) Even when I proceed with this configuration, where only Group Users can create nested groups, right after clicking New Group I get a "Not authorized" error msg. Is there any other parameter that I should look at to enable creation for Group Users?

Thanks,

adop

J2.5.3 CB 1.8.0 GJ 2.5.1 Kunena 1.7.2

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 2 months ago #190929 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Creation of nested groups

1) Is the system correct to let me set Nested Access-> Registered in Config>Groups>General but give me a more restrictive option in Group A config? By the way Group>Default also does not show Registered as option available in Nested Access.

Yes, configuration is a global access setting. It then is group by group based on users group access. This is working as intended.

2) Even when I proceed with this configuration, where only Group Users can create nested groups, right after clicking New Group I get a "Not authorized" error msg. Is there any other parameter that I should look at to enable creation for Group Users?

Try setting CB > Config > Groups > General parameter "Create Access" to "Registered". This could be a bug.

Please install and test with GJ 2.5 RC2 if not doing so already.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 2 months ago #190965 by adop
Replied by adop on topic Re: Creation of nested groups
I have installed rc2 but the problem is the same.

1) If the system is working as intended do you agree with me to say that:
a) some of the global access setting will never come into effect. For example if I set Nested Access to Public in Config>Groups>General there is no way a public user will ever manage to create a group because the minimum requirement for setting up each group is Group User (in Group configuration);
b) more importantly, in order for a user to be able to create a nested group he/she must first join the parent group and only then will be able to create a nested group. This means that all nested groups owner will also be Group Users of the parent group.

If you agree with both of the points above is there a way to avoid that registered users have to join a group before being able to create a nested group? I would like to avoid this because it can give origin to confusion.

2) I have set CB > Config > Groups > General parameter "Create Access" to "Registered" but no change.

12 years 2 months ago #190980 by krileon

a) some of the global access setting will never come into effect. For example if I set Nested Access to Public in Config>Groups>General there is no way a public user will ever manage to create a group because the minimum requirement for setting up each group is Group User (in Group configuration);

Well of course some ACL isn't going to be logical such as Public. It's an API that returns a list of usergroups. Just because it gives you all of them doesn't mean all of them fit the situation. An example of this usage is setting "Nested Access" globally to "Author" then setting "Nested Access" for a group to "Group Users". This means only a user of the group who is also "Author" usergroup can create nested groups of that group.

b) more importantly, in order for a user to be able to create a nested group he/she must first join the parent group and only then will be able to create a nested group. This means that all nested groups owner will also be Group Users of the parent group.

You need to belong to the group to create nested groups of it. Nested groups is a feature of the group just like Wall. You don't have to join the parent group to join a nested group through. You just need to join the parent group to create nested groups for it.

2) I have set CB > Config > Groups > General parameter "Create Access" to "Registered" but no change.

Are you testing with a Registered user or a Admin user? Does the user belong to the group?

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 2 months ago #191021 by adop
Replied by adop on topic Re: Creation of nested groups
Re point 2) above the system actually works according to what you explained. I had just misconfigured the Create Access param in the Category where the groups will be created. Once this is set to All Registered Users a Group User can actually proceed with creating nested groups.

There is however a glitch in the process since the view that enables the creation of the nested group shows "No available group" as Parent [group] and it is not editable. Since we are in the process of creating a nested group it should show the as parent the group the user joined in order to create the nested group. Thus the nested group in the end is not actually nested but it is created at top level, with no parent.

Going on with the process of creating nested groups at the second group the same user has a choice under Parent to either select No group again or to select the previously created group.

It doesn't seem to me it should work in this way but I wonder if there is some other param that I have to change in the configuration.

Anyway, thanks a lot Krileon for your efficient support.

adop

12 years 2 months ago #191023 by krileon

There is however a glitch in the process since the view that enables the creation of the nested group shows "No available group" as Parent [group] and it is not editable. Since we are in the process of creating a nested group it should show the as parent the group the user joined in order to create the nested group. Thus the nested group in the end is not actually nested but it is created at top level, with no parent.

You need to navigate to a group and click "New Group". Clicking "New Group" while viewing a category just creates a new top level group.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.334 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn