Error

Please login first

[SOLVED] Need help with some fields in the profile

12 years 4 weeks ago - 12 years 3 weeks ago #198096 by billraydrums
Hi gang! Just wanted to thank you for such a wonderful suite of software. I've recently upgraded to the Professional level so I suppose that could be an indicator that "things are good in my neighborhood!"

Anyhow, what I'm attempting to do is the following:

I'm building a site for a client that is a music aficionado. He wants registrants to be able to list the instruments they play, and impose their own self-rating for their abilities on said instrument, then to have a user vote on their ability to play the instrument, on a scale from 1-5. 1 being a beginner, 5 being a complete professional.

I'm envisioning an array consisting of the following- A drop-down list populated with common instruments (guitar, bass, drums, horn, accordion, kazoo, swinet, etc...) that the user can choose from. Next to that would be a drop-down with the 1-5 rating choice and then next to that the ajax voting plugin could be implemented. Should this person play more than one instrument I would like to have a + button to create another array as above so that they could repeat the process and this info display on their profile.

How would I go about configuring this? Out of this entire project, this is the #1 request for him.

The site is live if you'd like to see what I have so far. jammingout.net

Thanks again for your help!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 4 weeks ago #198179 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Need help with some fields in the profile
For the instruments a multi-checkbox or multi-dropdown would probably be best (or single-dropdown and radio if only 1 instrument can be selected). You could then use the rating field plugin available in Advanced downloads section as it provides a Your Rating and My Rating (your rating of your self and your rating from others).

Unfortunately creating a button to add more of the above fields isn't possible (would be something cool for CB 2.0 for sure). You'd have to simply create multiples of the same fields (maybe up to 5 would be sufficient?).

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 4 weeks ago #198209 by billraydrums
Replied by billraydrums on topic Re: Need help with some fields in the profile
That was my next plan of attack, but with as much horsepower, brainpower, beerpower that CB is capable of, why cannot I do this?

Is there a way to insert a block of code into a field so that the proper form code could be inserted within it?

There has got to be a workaround.

For comparison, I'm not a "coder" and I have somehow managed to string this site together. It's been a great challenge for me. If I had even a tenth of you guys' coding knowledge somehow I know I would accomplish what I need. I know it can be done, even if I have to hire someone to do it for me.

12 years 4 weeks ago - 12 years 4 weeks ago #198212 by krileon
There's no workaround except creating a new plugin that provides exactly that feature. Dynamic form creation or progressive field values just isn't possible right now (out of the box, it's something we've discussed internally for CB 2.0). CB was designed with admin defined fields in mind and not for them to be dynamically created. You also can't have a form within a form so a custom form in profile edit also is not possible. It's doable, but it's going to take PHP and jQuery know-how in addition to CB plugin component knowledge.

Wait, I may have an alternative that'll help you. You can create 5 sets of the fields you need for example (instrument, my rating, your rating). Then use CB Conditional to show Set 2 when Set 1 is not empty. Rinse and repeat. This way when they complete Set 1, it shows Set 2, and when they complete Set 2, it shows Set 3, etc.. Maybe this could be an attractive alternative for your client and requires zero coding on your part.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 4 weeks ago - 12 years 4 weeks ago #198218 by billraydrums
Replied by billraydrums on topic Re: Need help with some fields in the profile
See Kyle? BEER POWER. That's what I'm after. :D You rock...

I would do this in auto actions right?

Can you step me through it very basically?

Just need a start on it.

12 years 4 weeks ago #198219 by krileon

I would do this in auto actions right?

You use CB Conditionals.

Can you step me through it very basically?

Basically create 3 fields. A drop-down for the instruments. A My Rating and a Your Rating. Then repeat that process 5 times. Now use CB Conditionals to show/hide the second set of fields if the instrument field of the first set is not empty. Repeat that with all but set 1 and then you'll have dynamic show/hide of up to 5 different instrument field sets.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn