Unsubscribing with Paypal Recurring Payments

12 years 3 weeks ago #198607 by MasterNABO
Joomla 1.5.26; CB 1.8; CBSubs 1.3.0 RC2

I am using PayPal as my preferred gateway. The procedure for unsubscribing if the user has a Recurring Payment set up is not continuous. I will outline the process flow:

When a user chooses Unsubscribe from his Profile / Subscriptions tab, and clicks "Save", he is asked "Yes: Unsubscribe" or "No: Stay subscribed".

If he chooses "Yes", he is asked to confirm with the message, "This unsubscription is with immediate effect, without refund, and cannot be undone. Are you sure?"

If he clicks "OK", but he had originally chosen to pay on renewal by PayPal Recurring Payment, the subscription cannot be cancelled until he has cancelled the PayPal Recurring Payment, so a message is shown: "You are currently using PayPal Recurring Payments to pay for your subscription. To unsubscribe and stop future payments, you must to do this from Paypal. Click on the button below to login to PayPal and follow the instructions there to unsubscribe. This will automatically stop your subscription on this site." There is an "Unsubscribe at PayPal" Button to click on.

There are three issues I believe should be sorted in order to make the procedure clear to the user:
  1. Clicking on the button takes the user to PayPal BUT there is then no path back from PayPal to our site after the user has completed the operation at PayPal and logged out. The user has to re-open a window for the CBSubs User site when he has completed the PayPal operation, which is not intuitive.
    I would suggest the "unsubscribe at PayPal" button should open a new (pop-up?) window for the PayPal operation, so that when the user closes that he can continue by clicking a second button on the original page, "Complete Unsubscribe Process", which does what it says on the button.
  2. Is it possible to trigger an email explaining the required PayPal actions to the user when he clicks on the "Unsubscribe at PayPal" Button? (The process is not obvious on the PayPal site). He would need to be told to check his Inbox.
  3. Without either of the above changes, there is an extra "to" in second sentence of the website prompt message. If either of the 2 above program flow changes are made, the message would need to reflect that. Is that easily done in the language.php file?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 3 weeks ago #198651 by krileon
Won't matter with stable release of CBSubs 1.3 as we've now the API available to unsubscribe the user directly from the site without them needing to visiting PayPal. This page, message, and button was implemented purely because at the time of development there was no API to unsubscribe someones PayPal recurring subscription.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 3 days ago #200329 by MasterNABO
Replied by MasterNABO on topic Re: Unsubscribing with Paypal Recurring Payments
Joomla! 1.5.26
CB 1.8
CBSubs 2.0

Just tried to Refund a test subscription and donation using the Refund button on the CB Paid Subscriptions: Payments page. Shown the following message:
"Needed PayPal API username, password and signature not set. Refund request of GBP 30.00 for payment id 17 of GBP 30.00000 for basket id 12, Order id of Final Test (username ******* – userid 1008) using paypal with txn_id ******************** and auth_id failed for reason: ."

12 years 3 days ago #200334 by nant

Big_John wrote: Joomla! 1.5.26
CB 1.8
CBSubs 2.0

Just tried to Refund a test subscription and donation using the Refund button on the CB Paid Subscriptions: Payments page. Shown the following message:
"Needed PayPal API username, password and signature not set. Refund request of GBP 30.00 for payment id 17 of GBP 30.00000 for basket id 12, Order id of Final Test (username ******* – userid 1008) using paypal with txn_id ******************** and auth_id failed for reason: ."

Yes - please study the Paypal chapters in the new CBSubs 2.0 manual.

You need to setup a Paypal API username as the message states.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MasterNABO

11 years 11 months ago #200756 by MasterNABO
Replied by MasterNABO on topic Re: Unsubscribing with Paypal Recurring Payments
Thanks. I set up the API as described in the manual and executed the Refund of £30 successfully.
However, I cannot delete the subscriptions

The basket for Final Plan was:
Membership Type: Full Member for Final Test GBP 15.00 per year
Membership Type: 1st Family Member for Final Test GBP 5.00 per year
Membership Type: 2nd Family Member for Final Test GBP 5.00 per year
Donation from Final Test GBP 5.00

You can see that there were two child plans: 1st family Member and 2nd Family Member. These are not showing on the user's profile Subscriptions Tab (nor is te Donation) although the Full Member subscription is. Since I cannot delete them, I cannot delete the Full Member subscription either.

Your help would be appreciated. (You can still access the site).

11 years 11 months ago #200807 by krileon
You can delete the users subscription by editing them within user management and checking the delete checkbox. Refund or unsubscribing doesn't delete it, it just deactivates it. Partial refunds also will not unsubscribe the subscription and it must be a full refund.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.359 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn