Display of number of registered users

11 years 8 months ago #206992 by nickr
Is there an easy way (e.g. a module for J2.5) that shows the number of registered users?

If not, I have sort of figured out how to do this using CB Query Field. I use the following simple query in a field I called 'cb_membercounterquery':

SELECT COUNT( `id` ) FROM `###__users`

I then used the following content substitution in my article:

{cb:[cb:userdata field="cb_membercounterquery"/]}

This works fine if you log in, but for some reason it doesn't work in the Public areas of the site (nothing is displayed) - any ideas why not? I ensured that the field is associated with a Public tab.

Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 years 8 months ago #207003 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Display of number of registered users
Substitutions without a user specified users the viewing user. If you're not logged in then such a user doesn't exist and thus such a field doesn't exist. It's not the most ideal approach, but you can force a user by specifying user="USER_ID" so it'll always display. I however recommend one of the below modules from S4J.

www.software4joomla.com/

If none of the above are sufficient there are plenty of user counters on Joomla.org extension directory.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nickr

11 years 8 months ago #207005 by nickr
Replied by nickr on topic Re: Display of number of registered users
Okay - will look at what modules they have on offer.

Thanks.

11 years 8 months ago #207006 by krileon
If you find you like any of the S4J modules as a Professional subscriber you can get a discount coupon below.

www.joomlapolis.com/promotions

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

11 years 8 months ago #207007 by nickr
Replied by nickr on topic Re: Display of number of registered users
Even better - thanks again!

By the way, when you said it is possible to use: user="USER_ID", where am I putting this? Is it not recommended because it can cause problems/security issues?

11 years 8 months ago #207010 by krileon

By the way, when you said it is possible to use: user="USER_ID", where am I putting this?

Your substitution. Example as follows.

{cb:[cb:userdata field="cb_membercounterquery" user="42" /]}

Is it not recommended because it can cause problems/security issues?

It's just not the proper way to do it. The query also needs to be more refined. As is it'd count people banned, unconfirmed, unapproved, etc..

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.325 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn