[SOLVED] email fails to send registration/reminder

14 years 5 months ago #117244 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:email fails to send registration,reminders
There's also no need to edit the phpmail files. Just use the following format for your SMTP Host:
ssl://smtp.gmail.com:465

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 5 months ago #117294 by jrswords
Replied by jrswords on topic Re:email fails to send registration,reminders
krileon:
I have tried selecting PHP Mail Function, but I always get the "Could not instantiate mail function." error message. I was using the SMTP Server setting with no problems, until about a month ago. I'll look the "Could not instantiate..." error, and see if I can get PHP Mail to work. My current settings are:[code:1]
var $mailer = 'smtp';
var $mailfrom = 'mail@mysite.com';
var $fromname = 'mysite.com';
var $sendmail = '';
var $smtpauth = '1';
var $smtpuser = 'mail@mysite.com';
var $smtppass = '******';
var $smtphost = 'ssl://smtp.gmail.com:465';
[/code:1]

eweez:
This problem has been going on for over a month, but I haven't had time to troubleshoot. I'm not surprised to hear that Google tries to control traffic on their servers, but if 1 new user registers in a month, it's a busy month (it's a personal family history website). I doubt that they would shut me down, even temporarily, but the problem has persisted.

I'm still running on Joomla v1.5.9 so I don't have a place for the SSL and Port settings. Therefore, they are included in the SMTP host field.

Thanks for the tips, and let me know if you can think of anything else.

14 years 5 months ago #117316 by krileon
If it suddenly stopped working then it indeed would be server related, unless you can recall exactly what all you changed within that time frame. However, it sounds as if Google cut you off for whatever reason; I suggest contacting them.

I also recommend upgrading Joomla to 1.5.15, there are necessary and vital fixes in new Joomla releases.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

14 years 5 months ago #117347 by jrswords
Replied by jrswords on topic Re:email fails to send registration,reminders
krileon wrote:

If it suddenly stopped working then it indeed would be server related, unless you can recall exactly what all you changed within that time frame. However, it sounds as if Google cut you off for whatever reason; I suggest contacting them.

I also recommend upgrading Joomla to 1.5.15, there are necessary and vital fixes in new Joomla releases.

krileon,

If Google were to cut me off, wouldn't that also prevent "Contact Us" emails from being sent by Joomla? They were and have continued to be sent to my email account with no problem.

I will upgrade Joomla this weekend, and see if that helps.

Thanks

Jerry

14 years 5 months ago #117473 by krileon
jrswords wrote:

krileon wrote:
krileon,

If Google were to cut me off, wouldn't that also prevent "Contact Us" emails from being sent by Joomla? They were and have continued to be sent to my email account with no problem.

I will upgrade Joomla this weekend, and see if that helps.

Thanks

Jerry

Indeed it would, but if it was working then suddenly stopped. There's no explanation for it other then something changed. Possibly gmail is blocking emails from being sent to a specific server; don't know. Your mail server logs should help reveal how far the email actually got and what error it returned. Generally you can contact your host for such logs.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

14 years 2 months ago #125331 by paul.necsoiu
Hi,

When i register with a mail from gmail i receve the confirmation emails, but if I use a yahoo mail adress I don't receve the emails on the yahoo account.

I have Joomla 1.5.15
CB 1.2.1
I set SMTP host to : ssl://smtp.gmail.com:465

Why???

Post edited by: paul.necsoiu, at: 2010/02/26 14:22

My personal site: www.investx.net

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.456 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn