[SOLVED] email fails to send registration/reminder

14 years 7 months ago #110474 by eweez
Thanks. I just fixed it by going to administrator/components/com_comprofiler/library/phpmailer/phpmailer.phpmailer.php and not phpmailer.smtp.php. There was only a setting to change port in the phpmail.smtp.php file(i didnt change it), the other file has all the settings needed to make gmail hosted email work. Anyway, if anyone has google hosted email for your domain, edit phpmailer.phpmailer.php and put in your smtp info for gmail around line 160:
var $Host = 'smtp.gmail.com'
var $Port = 465;
var $SMTPSecure = "ssl";
var $SMTPAuth = true;
var $Username = 'yourusername@yourdomain.com';
var $Password = 'yourpassword';
By the way I used the same email as global settings in this file and it works fine. The email listed for Registration Email Address and Registration Reply to Address are different, but with gmail smtp, they are totally ignored. I dont believe it makes a difference, the address used is what you get with gmail's ssl/smtp/and smtpauth: what username you use, is what you get. Thanks for the help, and I hope this helps someone else.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 7 months ago #112809 by Smokey4life
THANK YOU!!! I have tried everything and theres just sooo many topics and posts regarding this very issue however none of the other solutions i have ran across worked for me. THIS DID! it was very simple took 2 seconds now all my mails are working just as they should.

14 years 5 months ago #117195 by firelite
Replied by firelite on topic Re:email fails to send registration,reminders
Thank you so much eweez ! I've been searching forever for this solution :)

Post edited by: firelite, at: 2009/11/18 22:52

14 years 5 months ago #117204 by jrswords
Replied by jrswords on topic Re:email fails to send registration,reminders
I just started having this problem, and still can't get CB to send admin/registration emails using my google apps email account.

I've tried entering the data in phpmailer.phpmailer.php as suggested by eweez. These are the same settings I already had in the Joomla global config settings, but I have 'ssl://smtp.gmail.com:465' for the SMTP Host field.

I am able to send mass email, and the Contact Us emails go out, but I can't get any of the CB emails to work. The strange thing is that all CB emails were going out as expected until about a month ago. I know I didn't change any settings or upgrade Joomla or CB. I can't think of anything I changed on my server computer that should affect this (I usually leave that machine alone!)

What tells Joomla to use the settings as listed in the phpmailer.phpmailer.php file, rather than the Joomla global configuration? I've tried changing the global config 'Mailer' setting from SMTP Server to PHP Mail Function, but get a "Could not instantiate mail function." error when using the PHP Mail Function.

I've tried the code change in the comprofiler.class.php file suggested by Nant in another thread, but that doesn't work either.

I really don't know what to try next.

Any ideas?

14 years 5 months ago #117224 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:email fails to send registration,reminders
Have you tried to use PHP Mail Function instead of SMTP? If SMTP fails then Joomla falls back to PHP Mail Function; CB does not. It's likely there's something wrong or misconfiguration with your SMTP. Please post your configuration and of course blocking out sensitive data such as replace your site with mysite.com or something of sorts.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

14 years 5 months ago #117227 by eweez
You said it was working just fine, and all of sudden stopped without changing anything? I don't know if this will help, but this has happened to me a couple of times due to the fact that google will 'suspend' the account if there are too many emails going out within a 24 hour period, or if I have alot of dead emails in a mass mail (acajoom weekly newsletter), or if google is having some sort of issues. Typically this will only last for a day, and then magically starts working again. I understand google to be very protective of how the smtp servers get used, and there is a whole list of factors that can temporarly suspend an account.

I've tried entering the data in phpmailer.phpmailer.php as suggested by eweez. These are the same settings I already had in the Joomla global config settings, but I have 'ssl://smtp.gmail.com:465' for the SMTP Host field."

I use smtp.gmail.com for host field What version of joomla are you using? Mine is j1.5.14
Attachments:

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.249 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn