Profile Question

7 months 1 week ago #335166 by peanutp
Profile Question was created by peanutp
Hello,

I am new to Community Builder and have a question regarding profiles.

I currently use an extension called Easy Profile, which allows me to capture additional information about users during registration.  It also allows my users to view the profile information of any user, and it also has a user search function.  Easy Profile is not being updated for J4, so I have now migrated the additional profile data to Joomla Custom Fields - this works well.  The only thing I am now missing is the user profile view and search, which is why I'm looking at CB.
  • Will CB sync the Joomla user data (including custom fields) into the CB user list?
  • Does SB have the ability to allow users to view other users profiles (subject to permissions being set correctly)?
  • Does SB have a user search function?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.    The user search I can live without, but the viewing of user profiles is essential for my site.   Looking at CB, the other features could be something I start to look at.

Best wishes,
Peter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

7 months 1 week ago #335174 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Profile Question

• Will CB sync the Joomla user data (including custom fields) into the CB user list?

Yes, we include a field type within CB > Field Management called Joomla which lets you display and edit Joomla fields within the CB user profile. These can be displayed on userlists and searched as well. I however recommend just using CB fields and migrating that data to the CB field for more efficient storage and searching. You can see some userlists in action on our demo site below.

demo.cbdemosites.com/demos/community-builder/user-lists/grid-layout
demo.cbdemosites.com/demos/community-builder/user-lists/table-layout
demo.cbdemosites.com/demos/community-builder/user-lists/member-list

• Does SB have the ability to allow users to view other users profiles (subject to permissions being set correctly)?

Yes, you can see a users profile below on our demo site.

demo.cbdemosites.com/profiles/susan

• Does SB have a user search function?

Yes, using userlists or Joomla's legacy search component with CB Search Bot. We do not provide a Smart Search integration. See the above userlist links for an example as they can be searched.

I suggest exploring our demo site below. Frontend and backend access is provided.

demo.cbdemosites.com/

You can also download the CB Primer Book below. It's a bit dated, but still contains a lot of relevant information.

www.joomlapolis.com/downloads/documents

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

7 months 1 week ago #335181 by peanutp
Replied by peanutp on topic Profile Question
Thank you for the reply.  Really helpful.  I'll do some proper testing.

I have been looking at the field types in CB and didn't see Joomla listed.  Looks like this is only available in J4?   www.joomlapolis.com/news/19010-community-builder-2-8-released   Or am I looking in the wrong area?

One other question - is it mandatory to use the CB registration form?  For now, I would prefer to use Joomla registration and sync to CB.  

thanks Pete

7 months 1 week ago #335182 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Profile Question
The Joomla field type is indeed only available in Joomla 4. Joomla 3 doesn't have the API to allow for it to be implemented cleanly.

If you're still on Joomla 3 I HIGHLY recommend making the move to Joomla 4 as Joomla 3 is EOL (end of life) and no longer receives support. While CB and several of our products still work on Joomla 3 for now we do not do extensive testing on Joomla 3 anymore as we just don't have the resources to maintain support for an EOL version of Joomla.

One other question - is it mandatory to use the CB registration form? For now, I would prefer to use Joomla registration and sync to CB.

Yes. Your installation will go out of sync. Is there a reason you need Joomla's form? CBs registration provides significantly more features. You can even completely customize it's layout using the new layout features shown below.

www.joomlapolis.com/blog/kyle/19009-profile-layouts

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.538 seconds