Recurring Payment Option Missing

9 months 3 weeks ago #334360 by AlexRag
Replied by AlexRag on topic Recurring Payment Option Missing

You don't need to manually turn it off/on. It will automatically hide itself from being a payment option if the subscription is outside the limits of Stripe.

Awesome!    One less manual step to worry about.

Eventually this won't really matter though as we plan to change over to a token based billing implementation and entirely handle recurring billing with an internal scheduler so then any duration will become available, but it will be awhile before we redo all of that.

This is great!

For now, we're limited by payment providers recurring limitations and it's a bit odd Stripe limits this to only 1 year, to be honest.

I agree, it is an odd restriction, as I can see other use cases besides the membership websites where the 1-year term limit is a deal-breaker.  

Thanks, Kyle for taking the time to answer my inquiries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: krileon

Please Log in to join the conversation.

9 months 3 weeks ago #334362 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic [SOLVED] Recurring Payment Option Missing

I agree, it is an odd restriction, as I can see other use cases besides the membership websites where the 1-year term limit is a deal-breaker.  

Seams to just be the trend. For example latest PayPal APIs has the exact same limits. There's fewer and fewer providers that will allow payments over 1 year. My best guess is it's some sort of liability/consumer protection thing. There's a few janky workarounds for this like abusing free trials or in the case of Stripe abusing subscription schedules, but it causes really weird billing behaviors. For example to get this to work with Stripe we'd have to do the following and for PayPal there flat out isn't a workaround.

Subscription Schedule
Subscription 1
- Price: Full Price
- Duration: 10 Days
Subscription 2
- Price: Free
- Duration: 1 Year
Subscription 3:
- Price: Full Price
- Duration: 1 Year

That's how it'd work if the subscription was 375 days for example. On the 3rd subscription in the schedule it would exit the schedule and lock into that recurring billing. The first subscription cycle is billed in full on subscription 1 with subscription 2 dealing with the regular cycle. While this can work it's not really the intended behavior of subscription schedules. We're already using subscription schedules to deal with subscriptions that have different initial price/duration compared to recurring price/duration so it'd result in a conflict with that existing behavior. It's basically a nightmare scenario to do the above.

There's probably alternatives like to take the extra days over 365 and push the start date of the subscription at Stripe, but then they won't be billed until those extra days have finished, which is fine if it's like 1 or 2 days, but a disaster if it's too many. I'll continue to explore possible workarounds, but unfortunately the easiest approach is to just not allow recurring beyond 1 year.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

9 months 3 weeks ago #334365 by AlexRag
Replied by AlexRag on topic [SOLVED] Recurring Payment Option Missing
You are probably correct about it being some kind of consumer protection mandate.

It does look to be a messy workaround to deal with.    Luckily in my one use case, we're only talking about 1 month per year where the recurring payment would not be an option.

I think the tremendous value of allowing bonus time is worth far more than trying to secure recurring payments.     It's really tough to sell memberships that approach renewal dates (where all memberships expire at the same time every year).  Giving users the "free" month to secure them for the next term is far more important.    

Correct me if I am wrong, but when the membership comes up for renewal next time, they can then choose the recurring option since by then it truly is a 1-year term.  

In any case, "bonus time" is actually one of the many reasons that made me go with Joomlapolis, to begin with.   

The following user(s) said Thank You: krileon

9 months 3 weeks ago #334371 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic [SOLVED] Recurring Payment Option Missing

Correct me if I am wrong, but when the membership comes up for renewal next time, they can then choose the recurring option since by then it truly is a 1-year term.  

Yup, they should be able to as long as it's not greater than 365 days.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AlexRag

9 months 3 weeks ago - 9 months 3 weeks ago #334390 by AlexRag
Replied by AlexRag on topic Recurring Payment Option Missing
UPDATE:   Something interesting has happened.

So last year (June 2022) I had three users renew and select the recurring option.   They were previous members so the recurring option was available to them as the term was 1 year (June 30 - July 1)

So Stripe took the recurring payment this year (June 30, 2023) which means the recurring payment worked as I'd hoped.  (Almost)

But the problem is the renewal payment did not register back to the website so both members are showing as expired.    I know I can go in manually and "Reactivate" them but I have also now noticed that their profile shows as non-recurring but recurring shows as 1.

Any ideas on how I can fix this so that I don't have to manually reactivate them every year?   Stripe still shows them as a subscription so is there any way to sync the Stripe transaction back to the user?

Attachments:

9 months 3 weeks ago - 9 months 3 weeks ago #334392 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Recurring Payment Option Missing
Check the notification for their renewal in CBSubs > Notifications and for any errors during the renewal in CBSubs > History Log. It's hard to say what could have gone wrong as we've massively updated the Stripe gateway since then to their latest APIs and guidelines.

As for forcing a subscription back into an auto recurring state edit it from CBSubs > Subscriptions by clicking the # under the ID column. Next set the following.

Autorenew Type: Mandatory
Autorecurring Type: Autorecurring with notifications
Previous Autorecurring Type: Not autorecurring

You can also reactive it from here as well by setting the following.

Previous Status: Expired

If there are no errors please PM backend super user login credentials and will take a look. Please include details regarding what user this happened to so I can dig into the logs.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn