Cannot edit user from backend...

11 months 1 week ago - 11 months 1 week ago #333850 by quantumgravity
Replied by quantumgravity on topic Cannot edit user from backend...
Hi Kyle,

Reading this was eye-opening:

My recommendation is to just upgrade Joomla 3 to Joomla 4 then move the necessary database tables over to your new install and you should have a completely functional migration of user data on a clean Joomla. The tables you'd need to migrate are as follows.

_users
_usergroups
_user_usergroup_map
_viewaccesslevels

All tables beginning with any of the following.

_comprofiler
_groupjive
_cbsubs

I'm planning start from scratch to completely rebuild a 15-year-old site that has a template with no Joomla 4 upgrade path, but copy across the data from big extensions like CB.  I was thinking the major extension databases would likely change from Joomla 3 to Joomla 4, so that I'd have to uninstall as much as possible from the Joomla 3 site, take the old site with the extensions I need through Joomla's upgrade process, and then copy the resulting relevant tables to a clean Joomla 4 installation.  But are you saying the CB table structure is the same between Joomla 3 and Joomla 4?  That'd be a lot easier.  Could I just start with a clean Joomla 4 site, migrate the tables you list directly from the Joomla 3 site to the fresh site, and then install CB and all plugins on the fresh site?  (Plus, of course, copying the needed profile image files, attachments, etc. in the same locations.) 

Is that what you were saying, or do I need to go through the Joomla Upgrade process just to get the proper table structure first?

Finally, regardless whether I have to move Joomla 4 tables or Joomla 3 tables to a fresh Joomla 4 site, is the correct order to copy the tables first and then install CB afterward?

Thanks for the help!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 months 1 week ago #333858 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Cannot edit user from backend...

But are you saying the CB table structure is the same between Joomla 3 and Joomla 4?

Yes. CB is very independent from Joomla. We don't use any of Joomla's core tables beyond the necessary user tables mentioned earlier.

Could I just start with a clean Joomla 4 site, migrate the tables you list directly from the Joomla 3 site to the fresh site, and then install CB and all plugins on the fresh site?  (Plus, of course, copying the needed profile image files, attachments, etc. in the same locations.) 

You could try to do so yes. There might be some differences for the Joomla user tables so be sure to check those carefully. It's important that _users is migrated along with CB since we are directly linked to their Joomla user.

Is that what you were saying, or do I need to go through the Joomla Upgrade process just to get the proper table structure first?

If all you want to migrate is just CB then you won't need to do the Joomla 4 upgrade. It's generally just a safe measure, but if only migrating CB and Joomla core user data it should be fine. Be sure to make plenty of backups throughout this though as you never know what could go wrong.

Finally, regardless whether I have to move Joomla 4 tables or Joomla 3 tables to a fresh Joomla 4 site, is the correct order to copy the tables first and then install CB afterward?

Either order is fine. I'd probably copy first though.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: quantumgravity

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn