[SOLVED] Userlists are smushed when adding text

13 years 5 months ago #146536 by jakobe75
One of the columns I am displaying is a text field.

just a plain ole text area field, no editor
(although I tried using one with the editor too)

field settings: (also tried several variations on the row vs col.)
-size: 0
-500 characters allowed
-25 columns
-10 rows.

Nothing special about this field

but when I add it to a column in the userlists...it dominates and pushes the other columns flat (I have 3 columns)

col 1 is some fields
col 2 is the text area
col 3 is an image

When I remove the text area field and replace it with another regular cb field like cb_phonenumber or as shown in the image "profile hits"

the display is better and the columns all share the screen somewhat evenly.

I have tried switching to different cb_plug templates
and all behave the same way. even third party ones. Adding a definite width like 200px or 50% in the cb_plugs template.css file either makes all the columns share that same width which looks even worse.

It is either the text field or the main Jomla template. But wouldnt a text field display based on the col and rows I defined in the back end?

I am using the RocketTheme Quantive Template and their Gantry layout system.

attached is an image
(had to blur a few fields out..trade secret,lol)

suggestions?

durn frustrating I tell ya.

Post edited by: jakobe75, at: 2010/11/17 19:56

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2010/11/18 18:07
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 5 months ago #146541 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Userlists are smushed when adding text
Columns have no width specified so content will behavior as HTML has designed. Large text will expand as much as it can before word wrapping. You'll need to add custom CSS to place a width on that field or add widths to the columns to restrict their display. Examples below.

Field: cb_textarea
[code:1]
.cbUserListFT_cb_textarea {
width: 100px;
}
[/code:1]

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 5 months ago #146545 by jakobe75
Replied by jakobe75 on topic Re:Userlists are smushed when adding text
when you mention

[code:1]
.cbUserListFT_cb_textarea {

}[/code:1]

I can define which areas should wrap?
since it will be field specific
ie: .cbUserListFT_cb_MYcbfieldname

I did notice that it does expand to the full width on the profiles as well but it is not an issue as it fills in the allotted space.

This field gets displayed in the userlists as well as the profiles.

by adding the code to the css, will it resize it on the userslists as well as in the profiles?

If so it may cause undesirable effect on the way it displays on the profiles. Can it be applied to a delimiter field as well?

Could I just add a delimiter field of the original text field and display that in the userlists instead.

13 years 5 months ago #146548 by jakobe75
I added this to my template.css near the userlists area

[code:1].cbUserListFT_cb_maindescription {
}[/code:1]

cleared cache/ refresh

no change..?

13 years 5 months ago #146551 by jakobe75
In the css files what does FT mean?

example:

table#cbUserTable td
table#cbUserTable th

.cbUserListFT (field title maybe...idk?)

Post edited by: jakobe75, at: 2010/11/17 21:17

13 years 5 months ago #146555 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Userlists are smushed when adding text
The CSS was just an example, I can't design CSS specific to your site without a link to the issue directly of course. You'll likely need to set display: block; in order for width to affect it; can't say for sure. I don't know what the FT means, sorry.

Could I just add a delimiter field of the original text field and display that in the userlists instead.

Sure, you could surround it with a DIV with a width applied if you want, but this would also affect profile view unless you've setup to only be used on the userlist.

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2010/11/17 21:31

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn