Forum alternatives?

8 years 7 months ago #270365 by Satchi
Forum alternatives? was created by Satchi
Hello all,

On our site, I am finding Kunena not exactly all I was hoping for.

So - if you've read this far, here is my question: Do any of you use or know of other forum software that works (via a bridge or native) with Joomla & CB? :)

Thank you in advance,

Satchi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

8 years 7 months ago #270411 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Forum alternatives?
With Joomla you can use phpBB with a bridge extension and a few other forum extensions, but I've no experience with either. With CB, nope, we only integrate with Kunena at this time.

extensions.joomla.org/category/communication/forum
extensions.joomla.org/category/communication/forum-bridges

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Satchi

8 years 7 months ago #270455 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Forum alternatives?

Satchi wrote: Hello all,

On our site, I am finding Kunena not exactly all I was hoping for.

So - if you've read this far, here is my question: Do any of you use or know of other forum software that works (via a bridge or native) with Joomla & CB? :)

Thank you in advance,

Satchi

Curious as to what you are missing in Kunena?

8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #270470 by Satchi
Replied by Satchi on topic Forum alternatives?
Kunena is open source which is amazing & powerful. However they do not make development based on customers needs.

They are looking at depreciating the blue eagle template. The new one they are moving to (Crypsys) does not work with my template and I don't want to relearn templating it because they want to make sweeping changes.

That is just one reason. Another is that when there are bugs or issues, they are quite rude to people. I am afraid to ever ask for help or direction there after seeing how they treat people; and frankly, I would rather pay for a product than deal with such haphazard support.

I would like to be able to choose an alternative.

best to you,

Satchi
The following user(s) said Thank You: krileon

8 years 7 months ago #270484 by neilmac500
Replied by neilmac500 on topic Forum alternatives?
Hi Satchi,

I'm using Kunena on my site and have been doing so for some years after trying alternatives via a bridge etc - they never came close to the ease of Kunena.

I know what you mean by their attitude in support, rude is putting it mildly!!

I've tried using templates from 3rd parties with varying success (some were absolutely awful) but now use a template from www.9themestore.com/index.php/our-themes/kunena-templates

Their support has been good (and friendly/helpful) and listen to requests for features - in my own experience.

Might be worth a look. :)

If you want to see how my forum looks its here - www.9themestore.com/index.php/our-themes/kunena-templates

Hope this helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sozzled™, krileon, Satchi

8 years 7 months ago #270489 by Satchi
Replied by Satchi on topic Forum alternatives?
Just had a quick look at the link. Those are nice but not my issue. I have a nice template setup for our forums. Based on the 'blue eagle' base. Most commercial template are also based on that framework.

When they switch to the new style, those will all be outdated until/when they are redone.

I am not having a single issue at this moment. My templating is all in order and works happily. I am looking to the future, and not liking the direction Kunena appears to be heading. If I see a problem on the horizon, and have no faith in how the company treats customers, it is only logical to find an alternative.

Thank you though. I appreciate your helpful attitude!

warm regards,

Satchi
The following user(s) said Thank You: krileon, neilmac500

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.329 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn