Menu SEF URL to own profile

7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #282894 by sekelfek
Menu SEF URL to own profile was created by sekelfek
Hello,
i'm a little diffused by organise my CB Menu.
The "Community Builder » userprofile" Menu entry link to the own profile with a link to this SEF URL:

example.com/my-menu/cb-profile

The Avatar on the page next to the login link to this own profile with a link to this SEF URL:

example.com/my-menu/cb-profile/userprofile

And the SEF URLs for all users profiles is so:

example.com/my-menu/cb-profile/userprofile/username

Exactly have a user three SEF URLs to the own profile.
My problem is yet the SEF URL part "/cb-profile". There are extended the SEF URL unnecessary.

I wish, that the users own SEF URL is the same to all other users profile SEF URLs without this part "/cb-profile".

example.com/my-menu/userprofile/username

And please all other SEF URLs don't change.
The following user(s) said Thank You: beat

Please Log in to join the conversation.

7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #282972 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Menu SEF URL to own profile

sekelfek wrote: Hello,
i'm a little diffused by organise my CB Menu.
The "Community Builder » userprofile" Menu entry link to the own profile with a link to this SEF URL:

1. example.com/my-menu/cb-profile

The Avatar on the page next to the login link to this own profile with a link to this SEF URL:

2. example.com/my-menu/cb-profile/userprofile

And the SEF URLs for all users profiles is so:

3. example.com/my-menu/cb-profile/userprofile/username

Exactly have a user three SEF URLs to the own profile.
My problem is yet the SEF URL part "/cb-profile". There are extended the SEF URL unnecessary.

I wish, that the users own SEF URL is the same to all other users profile SEF URLs without this part "/cb-profile".

example.com/my-menu/userprofile/username

And please all other SEF URLs don't change.

Thanks for bringing this question up. It resparked an old discussion we had a few times in the past. :)

Numbered in green the 3 urls you mention above.

Quick explanation for the 3 different URLs:

1. that's the default view of CB (which is your own user profile view when logged in), so different for each logged-in user, as it is it's own profile.
2. that's the view=userprofile (which happens to be the default CB view)
3. that's the view of your user profile, as seen by others, and also valid when logged out and by any user.

Right now, 1. and 2. display the same, it might be different in the future, but we decided to not output the view=userprofile anymore in our links, while still decoding it correctly:

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/5747

But: Link 1. and 3. still need to exist for following reason:

Link 1. is needed for going to the logged-in user profile. Btw it will not be visible to search bots. (Link 2. is not visible to search bots either.

3. also needs to exist: It is used to be able to have an invariant link to a given user. That one is visible to search bots, if user-lists are public. But page is not accessible to search bots if public user view is not allowed.

Hope that explains the current state, that it is not harmful to SEO. Thanks also for bringing back that subject, so that we can get rid of generating link 2.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #282976 by sekelfek
Replied by sekelfek on topic Menu SEF URL to own profile
hm... OK.
Also, the URL 2 is unnecessary. Then they can it be the standard User Profile Url with the name at the end in the URL.

The URL 1 is the standard problem on many CMS Tools. All required a self /home folder. That it's the problem. But, there is absolute unnecessary. For the CMS Admins it is difficult to erase this URL part.
It's beside not so harmfull, when the startsite URL to the website is:

www.example.com/home

but not

www.example.com

By less CMS Tools it's the trick to delete the menu adress entry direct in the database and all is fine.

For the login page URL you can generate a separate URL and redirect to this by system logout or pages with missing user permissions.

The thing is not only a SEO URL, the thing is a meaningfull SEO URL.

EDIT:
oops. sorry, there was not realy correct.

The problem is occasionally the joomla menu URL part.
With the /home URL part for a extension i can live with it, or rename it.

7 years 9 months ago #282984 by beat
Read 3 times your reply but didn't understand it.

I agree that URL 2 is not needed, and we have a tracker item linked above to stop generating it, while continue to accept it.

URL 1 and 3 are needed: Number 1 because of the way Joomla menus work (no dynamic content depending on user). Number 3 is needed for accessing users by name or id. The part before username in number 3 is taken from corresponding alias of corresponding CB profile menu, so you can change it as you wish.

That's all I can reply from what i understood from your reply.

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #282987 by sekelfek
Replied by sekelfek on topic Menu SEF URL to own profile
*puh* i have found a nearly absolutely solution!

1.) It's required the Joomla "Guest" User Group / Viewing Access Level / Permission.

Tutorial for create a "Guest" Group and Level in Joomla:

docs.joomla.org/J2.5:Access_Control_List_Tutorial
scroll to: "Allowing Guest-Only Access to Menu Items and Modules"

2.) Create a Menu-entry with "Community Builder » login" and set Parent Item -> "Menu Item Root" and Status -> "Puplished" and Access -> "Guest".
It will display ONLY for non-logged-in Users. If user logged in, the menu is hidden.
(Warning: don't test it in the same browser if you logged in before, or delete all cookies.)

3.) Create a Menu-entry with "Community Builder » userprofile"

User Profile (mandatory!)
This is the main menu item of Community Builder. Please create only one of them and make sure that this menu item is of public access and published.

and set Parent Item -> "Menu Item Root" and Status -> "Puplished" and Access -> "Registered".
By this menu-entry you can rename the URL-part in the field "Alias" on top of the page.
This menu-entry you can set it as parent for all other CB menu-entrys (Lists, Logged out, Moderate, ...).

4.) Important! else error page after log in:
Go to:
Joomla Module: "Community Builder Login module" (or create a new)
- Tab: Login Options
-- Field: Login Redirection URL
--- insert: /cb-profile
! Please consider the "Alias rename" in the menu-entry.

With this tutorial you have following solution:

1. A Menu-entry for Log In that is displayed only when user is NOT logged in.

2. A Menu-entry for CB Pages that is displayed only when user is NOT logged in.

3. When user logged in, it will be redirect to your profile page

4. The URLs for CB:

after logged in:
example.com/cb-profile

other cb pages (list, moderate, logged out, ...):
example.com/cb-profile/cb-other

other user pages:
example.com/cb-profile/userprofile/username

*puh* final!
The following user(s) said Thank You: beat

7 years 9 months ago #283061 by beat
Thanks for sharing your howto to do what you wanted to achieve.

Guest user view level is indeed a powerful Joomla tool.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn