Profile logger showing password changes from user id 0, no username

8 years 2 months ago #277826 by akasharkbow
Hi there

I'm using CB / CBSubs and the latest Profile Logger. I've recently received a few notifications of password changes with this information:

Id of user making change: 0
Username of user making change:
Changes made from: frontend

The IP is logged, and the same IP is associated with a few password changes on different accounts.

I'm not sure if this is a hack, or a security hole, or if there is something wrong with my settings. But if you could possibly advise me on how to troubleshoot this so that I can protect our site's users accounts, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks so much.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

8 years 2 months ago #277850 by nant

akasharkbow wrote: Hi there

I'm using CB / CBSubs and the latest Profile Logger. I've recently received a few notifications of password changes with this information:

Id of user making change: 0
Username of user making change:
Changes made from: frontend

The IP is logged, and the same IP is associated with a few password changes on different accounts.

I'm not sure if this is a hack, or a security hole, or if there is something wrong with my settings. But if you could possibly advise me on how to troubleshoot this so that I can protect our site's users accounts, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks so much.

Ha - looks like the password reset is causing this.

Nothing to be alarmed with.

I will open a ticket to imporove message if possible in next release.

8 years 2 months ago #277858 by akasharkbow
Thanks for your reply, nant.

Just to be clear - most password changes actually come through with a notification that makes sense (correct username and user id). So, if this is a system error, it is not consistent...

8 years 2 months ago #277866 by nant

akasharkbow wrote: Thanks for your reply, nant.

Just to be clear - most password changes actually come through with a notification that makes sense (correct username and user id). So, if this is a system error, it is not consistent...

If a logged in user changes his password from the update profile menu then everything is normal.

However if someone does not remember his password (and thus cannot login) and he does a password reset request then the profile logger identifies the password change but cannot identify the user requesting the change (since there is no logged in user).

So in this case the IP is in fact useful.

As I said there is no reason to be alarmed and we will improve on this if possible in next release.
The following user(s) said Thank You: akasharkbow

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn