CB template plugins | copy default or create new ?

13 years 4 weeks ago #160545 by pepperstreet
Hello, maybe a dumb question...
In my CB install I have a slightly modified DEFAULT template. Because only this template folder seems to have the actual PHP file, where modifications can be done?! As far as i know, the other template plugins change only the basic visual appearance, like tabs and graphics?

How does this template plugin system work? How can I keep my changes save, when i update CB. (I mean without manual actions via FTP etc.)

How to duplicate and rename the DEFAULT template ?
How to create and install own template plugins ?

Thanks for listening.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 3 weeks ago #160664 by krileon

How does this template plugin system work? How can I keep my changes save, when i update CB. (I mean without manual actions via FTP etc.)

Template systems first tries to find the file it needs in the template selected within CB configuration on user profile tab. If it can not find a file it needs then it trys to find that file in the Default template. It's a "fallback" type system to prevent issues with bad templates or purposely incomplete templates (like those that just adjust CSS).

How to duplicate and rename the DEFAULT template ?

Copy, Paste, Rename is all that is necessary.

How to create and install own template plugins ?

Copy default template, review XML and make changes where necessary renaming from default to whatever you please. Once done adjusting simply pack as ZIP and install.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pepperstreet

13 years 3 weeks ago - 13 years 3 weeks ago #160695 by pepperstreet
Copy, Paste, Rename... sounds rediculous easy ;)
I thought of that already, and I tried it with the (sub)themes like "osx". It did not work at all. Can this only be done with the "default" template folder? How to deal with style variants like "osx" etc. ? :unsure:

EDIT:
I also tried it with the default folder. I am almost sure, that I did not miss a name in the XML and PHP files. All i get is a blank screen after the ZIP upload. No success :blush: :huh:

13 years 3 weeks ago #160798 by krileon
Best I can suggest is review one of our templates and how its XML is structured as all 3 of our templates come within installable CB template plugins. You'll need to make adjustments and additions to the XML as well. Examine the other templates closely to ensure the naming structure is appropriate. If you get a blank page you need to enable debug mode and maximum error reporting in Joomla global config to debug your plugin and see what exactly errored.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 3 weeks ago #160806 by pepperstreet
copied default template and changed all filenames accordingly... also in XML file. The installer throws the following messages:

Notice: Constant _UE_REG_REJECT_SUB already defined in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/cb/components/com_comprofiler/plugin/language/de-de/language.php on line 415

Notice: Constant _UE_MENU already defined in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/cb/components/com_comprofiler/plugin/language/de-de/language.php on line 662

Warning: SimpleXMLElement::__construct() [simplexmlelement.--construct]: Entity: line 1: parser error : Start tag expected, '<' not found in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/cb/administrator/components/com_comprofiler/library/cb/cb.installer.php on line 169

Warning: SimpleXMLElement::__construct() [simplexmlelement.--construct]: in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/cb/administrator/components/com_comprofiler/library/cb/cb.installer.php on line 169

Warning: SimpleXMLElement::__construct() [simplexmlelement.--construct]: ^ in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/cb/administrator/components/com_comprofiler/library/cb/cb.installer.php on line 169

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Exception' with message 'String could not be parsed as XML' in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/cb/administrator/components/com_comprofiler/library/cb/cb.installer.php:169 Stack trace: #0 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/cb/administrator/components/com_comprofiler/library/cb/cb.installer.php(169): SimpleXMLElement->__construct('???????Mac OS X...') #1 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/cb/administrator/components/com_comprofiler/library/cb/cb.installer.php(144): cbInstaller->isPackageFile('/Applications/M...') #2 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/cb/administrator/components/com_comprofiler/library/cb/cb.installer.php(66): cbInstaller->findInstallFile() #3 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/cb/administrator/components/com_comprofiler/controller/controller.default.php(2788): cbInstaller->upload('/Applications/M...') #4 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/cb/administrator/components/com_comprofiler/controller/controller.default.php(333): installPluginUpload() #5 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/cb/administrator/components/com_comprofiler/admin.comp in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/cb/administrator/components/com_comprofiler/library/cb/cb.installer.php on line 169

13 years 3 weeks ago #160829 by krileon
The PHP file also has class names that must be changed. Again, please review our existing templates on how to construct an installable template. You may also search for other CB templates that are installable. Simply trial and error until working. The errors indicate a problem with your XML.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.232 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn