[SOLVED] Approach to process design problem

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #169931 by iamalive
Hi
I have a client with a wish for a site to do manage the process described below. I think community builder is the way to solve the problem, but I'm not quite sure if I'm approaching it correctly. I'd be pleased if you could just review this and provide some feedback.

The following process needs to occur:
  • A potential user/member registers on the site, providing various items of information. The users are responding to a advert in a publication and the add contains a pin number to be entered as part of registration.
  • Once registered, the user is assigned to a core group member/moderator. The moderator is identified by the pin number.
  • A welcome message is sent to the new user, in the name of this moderator
  • At the same time, a message is sent to the moderator to infom him/her that a new member has registered. The details of the new member are also inluded in the message as an attachment in the form of a .vcf file so that it can be added to their personal contact database.
Contact is then taken up on a personal level, e.g., by phone

In a ddition, moderators should be able to access their list of members and use that to e.g. create a mass mail or send them a newsletter. A total list of all members should also be available, for similar reasons.

The only thing that I am really unsure about, is the creation of a .vcf file with the contact details.

I'd really appreciate your comments. If this needs any special programming, then I'd appreciate you adding a quote.

Thanks in adavance

David

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 9 months ago #170002 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Approach to process design problem

A potential user/member registers on the site, providing various items of information. The users are responding to a advert in a publication and the add contains a pin number to be entered as part of registration.

Standard CB with a new field created in Field Management for them to provide the PIN would be recommended. Lets call this PIN field "cb_mypin" for future reference.

Once registered, the user is assigned to a core group member/moderator. The moderator is identified by the pin number.

This is where it gets tricky, CB has no user moderator assignment. All moderators can edit/manage all users. Here's what I recommend to achieve this. You'll need a few incubator projects guaranteed though.

First you need CB Query Field. Once installed you need to create a query to find the email address of the moderator who is assigned the PIN number the user provided. This can be done with the below quite easily. The only tricky part is to ensure the moderator and the user have the same PIN so they'll have something in common. Lets call this query field "cb_mymod" for future reference.
SELECT u.`email` FROM `#__users` AS u LEFT JOIN `#__comprofiler` AS ue ON u.`id` = ue.`user_id` WHERE ue.`cb_mypin` = '[cb_mypin]'

You'll want this field to be hidden so place it on a tab in a not shown on profile position (you still need the field accessible as you need the results). Then using CB Privacy set it not to have an Edit Profile display.

Now that we've a way to match the moderator to the user based off pin we can use this later. The reason we're selecting email address is we want this for later for the emailing.

A welcome message is sent to the new user, in the name of this moderator

For this you'll need CB Emails. Once installed you'll need to setup an email to send after the registration trigger. For the TO address you'd have [email] and for the FROM address you'd have [cb:userfield field="cb_mymod" /]. You'll also want to create a conditional for the mymod field to ensure it is NOT empty as CB Emails will fall back until it finds an email address it can use for FROM (first checks CB registration email, then to Joomlas). You would now have a Welcome email from the users moderator. You may want to specify the FROM NAME as "Moderator" or something of the sort, your choice as we don't have the moderators name, just their email.

At the same time, a message is sent to the moderator to infom him/her that a new member has registered. The details of the new member are also inluded in the message as an attachment in the form of a .vcf file so that it can be added to their personal contact database.

Just do the same as the above but with the reverse (mymod as TO and email as FROM).

In a ddition, moderators should be able to access their list of members and use that to e.g. create a mass mail or send them a newsletter. A total list of all members should also be available, for similar reasons.

Userlists is quite doable, you'd just filter a list by the field created earlier. Mass mailer on the other hand CB can't do unless you do this from backend user management.

The only thing that I am really unsure about, is the creation of a .vcf file with the contact details.

No idea what a VCF file is or how you'd go about obtaining them regarding CB.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 9 months ago #170013 by iamalive
Replied by iamalive on topic Re: Approach to process design problem
Hi Kyle
Thanks a lot. I'll be working on this next week, so I'll keep you posted.

A .vcf file is an address card file which can be read, for example, by Outlook and other contact management software. Some info is available here: Wikipedia VCard

As this is a primary requirement for my client, I'd appreciate help with this.

Regards and thanks

David

12 years 9 months ago #170101 by krileon

iamalive wrote: A .vcf file is an address card file which can be read, for example, by Outlook and other contact management software. Some info is available here: Wikipedia VCard

As this is a primary requirement for my client, I'd appreciate help with this.

I see, CB has no such feature. You may want to check Joomla.org for some sort of extension that could provide them.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 5 months ago #184634 by iamalive
Replied by iamalive on topic Re: Approach to process design problem
Hi
I couldn't get the email subscription to work. In addition, my client really wants the vCard attachment. My question now:
I'd like some help to get this done. Can you let me have a quotation for the cost of developing a vCard plugin that can be attached to any specified email and to implement the process I've outlined in this post.
Thanks for your help.
David

12 years 5 months ago #184675 by krileon
We don't do contract development. Please post your request on sites like Joomlancers. I highly recommend checking Joomla.org first as there's very likely a Contact extension that already provides this.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn