Considering this strange use of CB...

18 years 3 months ago #4862 by RussellB
Considering this strange use of CB... was created by RussellB
Hello all. After reading all through these forums and the documentation this looks to be an amazing component.

I'm considering a very strange use for this addon, and becuase of that I'm afraid I'll face some unique challenges.

That strange use? I'd like to make CB act as a control panel. The general idea is that CB already has all of the user/login/custom fields functionality to it. The profile would basically be turned into several tabs(I love the tabs:P ) of listboxes, dropdowns, and check boxes. These being the options of the control panel.

This is for an IRC-related project. Each "user" would be an IRC channel, with the profile area having all of the control options for that channel. (IRC channels are in short, live chatrooms.) CB would be the interface between the scripting behind the channel, and the end-user. Outside PHP scripts would interact directly with the MySQL database to read all of the settings, and update them as needed. The channel owner would login to CB to change settings for the channel, which then save to MySQL so that the channel can read the settings.

Hope that makes some sense, seems hard to explain most of it.

So here are my current questions:

- With CB are there any problems with outside PHP code changing and editing the user tables? Such as adding new users and etc?

- Since the password is randomly generated each time they type the login command inside the channel. Is there a way to give them a link that passes the user/password parameters inside of the link?

- I'm using SEF Advance for the cleaner URLs. Any known problems with this? Does CB have an SEF Advance extension file?

- Know of anybody else that has tried something outside of the intended usage? I didn't see anything this different in these forums.

- Suggested addons for something like this?

Any feedback is appreciated. If I use CB I'll be sure to update everyone on how it's coming along.

Thanks!
- Russell B)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

18 years 3 months ago #4890 by mikko
Replied by mikko on topic Re:Considering this strange use of CB...
I would say that this is possible, but you would most likely to be better of to program something similar from scratch.

One php page for list and another for details.

-mikko

18 years 3 months ago #4891 by zebraz
Replied by zebraz on topic Re:Considering this strange use of CB...
cb is not even doing what it is supposed to be doing right now - not even small things like allowing a person to register his/her name comfortably.

so many people have reported error messages, but nobody has tried to fix it so far. this is not at all to discourage advanced work. but shall we attend to the basics first for all?
:)

18 years 3 months ago #4892 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Considering this strange use of CB...
zebraz wrote:

cb is not even doing what it is supposed to be doing right now - not even small things like allowing a person to register his/her name comfortably.

so many people have reported error messages, but nobody has tried to fix it so far. this is not at all to discourage advanced work. but shall we attend to the basics first for all?
:)

Dont really know what you are talking about.
All artifacts that are posted in our project area are addressed. At last glance all the verified bugs have been fixed and ready for testing for 1.0 stable. Alot of issues reported on these forum are not CB bugs. Some are even related with newby users that have not figured out the existing functionality.
Perhaps you can elaborate about what you mean by "allowing a person to register his/her name comfortably"?

18 years 3 months ago #4898 by zebraz
Replied by zebraz on topic Re:Considering this strange use of CB...
It is the error message that I get when I try to register using
mod_cbloginrc2:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: getpublicproperties() in /home/maythil/public_html/mambo/includes/database.php on line 550

I have seen several references to it but no definitive answer -- not yet. The nearest approximation was a suggestion to install an old version of something.

I perfectly agree that a great number of cb or joomlaboard problems are actually "related with newby users that have not figured out the existing functionality", and I am newby :) and it is the biggest problem I face at my website.

I use the good old Mambo Login, which works very well with the joomlaboard and uddeIM, but only I don't get any "you got msg" alert when someone sends a private message.

18 years 3 months ago #4900 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Considering this strange use of CB...
First of all sorry for taking over this thread ...

To zebraz:
What version of Joomla are you using?
If you are using 1.0.5 there is an extensive thread on these forums that discuss the issue you seem to be facing. This issue has been taken care of in Joomla 1.0.7. This is as definitive as I can get.
Having said this - you are missusing CB. It is intented to work with the cb login module and not with the out of the box joomla login module. This has been stated in the package readme file and in the installation pdf. If you continue using the joomla login module you will be consistently creating unsynchronized user tables between cb and joomla. By using the joomla login you are missing alot more than just the you got msg alert.

Again, sorry for taking over the thread.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn