Is it possible to use external tables ?

11 years 2 months ago #221031 by Pachat
Problem :
I have members of clubs.
CB does the job for users.
But I'd like each club to have its own fields (and tabs).
In that respect, from a development point of view, clubs become just a category of users.

This can be implemented as is in regular use of CB.

But, because the size of a record is limited in MySQL,
and for clarity sake (especially for further developments)
I would like to know whether :
- there is already a regular way to add a table,
- or, if changing the table field of a record in #__comprofiler_fields, to another table would help to keep #__comprofiler for users, but have also a #__clubs table just for clubs ?
As the fields of both are mainly different in nature, I'd like to keep these tables separated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #221046 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Is it possible to use external tables ?
Nope, you'd need to do massive changes to the core for this so won't even begin to suggest what to do, sorry. Best approach is use a separate extension for your Clubs like GroupJive or some sort of Directory extension. _comprofiler_fields just stores the field rows and does not actually store a users value for that field; the values for fields are stored in their respective columns in _comprofiler so the tables depend on one another.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #221114 by Pachat
Replied by Pachat on topic Is it possible to use external tables ?
Thank you for your replay.
Indeed. I see that there is massive use of #__comprofiler hardcoded in CB

In that respect, the two values of the field #__comprofiler_fields.table are, and can only be #__users or #__comprofiler.

Therefore, the MVC model is not exactly working here.
May be a thought for the future : the SQL commands in CB could rely on the value in #__comprofiler_fields.table, and if different of #__comprofiler generate a JOIN.

--

For the present, I just wanted an identity form for the clubs with search possibilities and locations.
GJ has many features I do not need. But I will see how I can manage with it to just have a short presentation, with location and search.

11 years 2 months ago #221120 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Is it possible to use external tables ?
Thanks for the suggestions. We are working on CB 2.0 that will implement some of this regarding improving the MVC.

However, from a Database Architecture point of view, having different tables for the same type of information (e.g. user-information) as well as doing many joins on huge numbers of rows isn't the best solution.

Thus a solution like GroupJive ( www.joomlapolis.com/cb-solutions/groupjive in your downloads area) and conditional (fields/tab) CB plugin ( www.joomlapolis.com/cb-solutions/incubator available to you as a developer member too) is a much better approach, available today.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

11 years 2 months ago #221179 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Is it possible to use external tables ?
You can also query information from external database tables using CB Query Field. You could then use CB Auto Actions to push information to external database tables. All of which being done with queries. Aside from that if you still need information to/from a separate table the best I can suggest is developing a plugin to fit your needs.

Also GroupJive is very modular based. Most of its features are integration plugins, which are optional. All of GroupJive frontend is also template based so it can be freely modified to whatever needs you may have. There is also a Joomla search bot so you could use Joomla search to search Groups if needed.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn