Notifications to iOS or android applications

4 years 2 months ago #316747 by activha
Hello

With all the great and amazing devs of CB and CB Activity of these last months could it be possible to build an auto action which would automatically send notifications by API to an iOS or android application ?

We are thinking at sending new GJ events, new likes or comments for instance

Thanks for your ideas

Please Log in to join the conversation.

4 years 2 months ago #316749 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Notifications to iOS or android applications
CB Activity and its Notifications API will eventually support browser notifications. Not sure if you can force that using CB Auto Actions since a lot of storage triggers are done during PHP processing with a redirect immediately following and browser notifications are JS driven so they'd never have a chance to function. You'd need a message queue system similar to Joomlas message queue so a notification could be queued up then pushed to browser on next page load.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 2 months ago #316752 by activha
Replied by activha on topic Notifications to iOS or android applications
That's great !
I was wondering whether it would be feasible with a native application that would use the CB API and manage the message queue system itself ?
We have an app with a few native pages and some ui web view for the main website and CB Activity.
My intent was more to use CB Activity API to push notifications to the app.
What's your view ?

4 years 2 months ago #316756 by krileon
We don't have any JSON endpoints for that purpose. Our plans are to eventually convert all endpoints to pure JSON standardized schemas. Next frontend would be mostly or entirely driven by VueJS becoming more like a web application. This would allow native applications to hook into the endpoints easily. That's a long way off though. For now if you wanted a JSON endpoint like that you'd have to entirely implement it yourself.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 2 months ago #316760 by activha
Replied by activha on topic Notifications to iOS or android applications
That's a long way off though

Are we talking months or years ? :-)

That's a great future in perspective and hope we can help enhance things

4 years 2 months ago #316763 by krileon

Are we talking months or years ?

Considering it's a complete rewrite of frontend and nearly completely rewrite of all endpoints I can't really give you any kind of estimate like that since it'll be a gradual process. The plan this year is to roll out usage of VueJS and slowly transition from jQuery to vanilla JS and VueJS along with slowly switching some endpoints to JSON.

We'll also be implementing usage of Symfony components, which will save us a significant amount of time. Some of those components will be implemented this year. We're also planning this year to start rewriting more of our legacy APIs (e.g. rewrite Field APIs). In short CB isn't going to vanish anytime soon if anyone has concerns about that. I've probably got 10 years worth of work in my head alone, lol. We'll keep pushing forward.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.245 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn